How is your meat killed?

Turns out a lot of people have been getting worked up about finding out that a lot of the meat we eat has been prepared in Halal slaughterhouses (often on the other side of the world).

For various reasons people object to this - whether it's bigotry (as is being promoted by the tabloids), genuine concern for animal welfare or a general feeling that we have lost control of our food supply chain to commercial interests who fail to label it properly, it strikes me that most people are totally ignorant of how our meat is slaughtered.

If you object to Halal slaughter, are you happy with the alternatives?

For chickens this usually means being electrocuted to death by hanging upside down and dipped in electrified water, or being gassed.

For lambs and cows a bolt is propelled in to their skull.

Pigs are either gassed or given electric shock to stop their heart.

Whatever method is used it's likely being done on a huge industrial scale in big noisy stinking warehouse somewhere.

I guess most people have no idea about this - but will happily go along with the nasty anti Muslim stance being promoted in the Sun and Mail.

I guess most people have no idea about this - but will happily go along with the nasty anti Muslim stance being promoted in the Sun and Mail.

You guessed wrong. I'll eat either halal or non halal, it really makes no difference to me. I just want the choice and resturants/fast food places to tell us either way and not hide it.

You guessed wrong. I'll eat either halal or non halal, it really makes no difference to me. I just want the choice and resturants/fast food places to tell us either way and not hide it.

But without knowing the difference between halal and non halal slaughter the choice is meaningless.

Maybe they should ask you at the table - would you prefer the chicken that was gassed, electrocuted or throat slit sir?

Like many things in this world, the labeling 'Halal' on meat products will usually only mean that the producer has been certified and has paid their fee to the relevant Islamic Certification Body.

What actually goes on, day-to-day, in their abattoirs, between inspections is another thing entirely.

The same applies to a whole range of certification of both food and non-food goods.

Like many things in this world, the labeling 'Halal' on meat products will usually only mean that the producer has been certified and has paid their fee to the relevant Islamic Certification Body.

What actually goes on, day-to-day, in their abattoirs, between inspections is another thing entirely.

The same applies to a whole range of certification of both food and non-food goods.

Exactly, I would imagine after they have slit the throats of thousands of animals they start to get fed up and slack about procedure, thats usually when they start kicking animals around to relieve the boredom.

Turns out a lot of people have been getting worked up about finding out that a lot of the meat we eat has been prepared in Halal slaughterhouses (often on the other side of the world).

For various reasons people object to this - whether it's bigotry (as is being promoted by the tabloids), genuine concern for animal welfare or a general feeling that we have lost control of our food supply chain to commercial interests who fail to label it properly, it strikes me that most people are totally ignorant of how our meat is slaughtered.

If you object to Halal slaughter, are you happy with the alternatives?

For chickens this usually means being electrocuted to death by hanging upside down and dipped in electrified water, or being gassed.

For lambs and cows a bolt is propelled in to their skull.

Pigs are either gassed or given electric shock to stop their heart.

Whatever method is used it's likely being done on a huge industrial scale in big noisy stinking warehouse somewhere.

Too right! I've said this on several threads. I'm ok as long as I know my meats clean and safe. The above methods would put me off, not because it's Halal.

Good point, well made. It annoys me no end, I bet most people moaning have never been in an abattoir.

To be honest I didn’t know either – I had to look it up – I had some idea about a bolt gun, but didn’t know any more.

It just seems odd to see people getting worked up about Halal without knowing anything about the alternatives – and the recent tabloid hate-mongering doesn’t address it either.

Maybe school kids should be taken on abattoir tours??

Archived