Our car needs new power steering pump

Its making a really bad noise been told by mechanic it needs new pump its gonna cost £360 to get it all done does anyone know a cheeper way round it until we can afford to get it done

Thank you

I'd make sure you check all you can before spending. Replacing a power steering pump can bring in quite a good labour fee for a mechanic. I'm not saying yours is dishonest, but I've known plenty give out wrong advice and just thrown new parts at a problem because of inexperience or be unwilling to try anything else.

On Peugeot's there's a service bulletin that states the reservoir must be over filled beyond the MAX line.

I had heavy steering and noise from the pump when turning the wheels on a Pug 307 I bought.

I found the fluid hadn't been topped up. I also took out the plastic wheel arch liner and removed, cleaned, re-attached and weatherproofed the electrical connector to the pump.

After that the steering was nice and light and no noise.

Have you checked that there's any fluid in it. Power steering can make a noise when the fluid level is really low.

Best Start.!! when you turn left turn right will make a noise. Check power steering fluid level first!

---------- Post added 10-05-2014 at 01:48 ----------

Archived