Let's talk about the true cost of ageing

What if we actually made it law that people should be able to have a career break to look after their elderly relatives without impunity? Obviously it might be difficult in some cases, but a construct to make it valid could and perhaps should be found.

Who pays the mortgage whilst they aren't working for a 'few' years?

Who pays the mortgage whilst they aren't working for a 'few' years?

The state pays a very reasonable percentage of their lost income instead of the pathetic 65£ a week it offers now and the alternative which costs the state 1000£ a week. This was discussed earlier in the thread so I didn't repeat it, apologies for not making that clear.

By paying a decent percentage the costs will come down for the state, so it makes sense. People wouldn't have to do it, but it should be a valid option.

I saw it myself when my mother in law was in her last year and my sister in law ended up spending 40-50 hours a week next to her full-time teaching job looking after her and her husband. She did it out of love, but it nearly sent her into hospital as well.

Archived