Avoid using a pencil to vote

In the counting room/hall when the voting slips get delivered they are under watchful eyes and the people who count them are watched by the MPs and their staff who are sat opposite of people counting.

If for example you interrupt me whilst I'm counting (I.e stretching over to see what I'm seeing and saying I missed that can I see it) by that I miss count meaning I have to count again, I can have you removed.

The counting is done in a very organised way and at no time is it possible for anyone to interfere in the way you say in your OP

So you say but how do we know you're not one of those allumni?

I`m not fretting and why are you so sure there`s no corruption going on?

Because Alice is perfectly correct. The chances of a ballot being altered without someone seeing it are so close to zero as makes no odds. You have the candidates, their agents, at least two scruitneers from each party, the tellers, and the returning officers at every count I've attended.

Plus you might get an election observer like myself drop in unannounced and just demand to see what's going on.

There is election fraud, but it's almost entirely around postal voting and grabbing unused postal votes and stuffing the boxes with those, rather than subverting it mid process.

I never vote. Never have. Think of all those boring trips to the polling station I've avoided over the years. And to this day, no election has ever been won or lost by just one vote. Am I clever or am I clever.

I never vote. Never have. Think of all those boring trips to the polling station I've avoided over the years. And to this day, no election has ever been won or lost by just one vote. Am I clever or am I clever.

I've been at a local election count declared a draw after two recounts (they basically count until you get the same result twice times if it is close) and that was decided by tossing a coin. That is actually not uncommon - a single vote there would have counted.

The closest recent general election result is only 2 votes difference - I think that was Winchester in 1997. There was a draw in the Ashton under Lyne general election in the 1880's.

Your vote can mean the difference.

What's wrong with you? Have you never heard of a postal vote?

Either apply for that in the future or man- up and get some exercise by taking an evening stroll to the polling station.

It should be everyone's obligation to vote if they are a citizen of this country.

The decisions that are made by a political party effect you.

You could always use your vote as a protest vote, imagine the fun in that. It's comparable to giving a political party you don't like, a bloody nose. It's like a game of chess, you need to be calculating with your moves.

At least that way you will fulfil your right to vote, after all it's only once every five years. Shame on you for not voting. In that case, you have no right to complain about a party's policies when they achieve power.

What's wrong with you? Have you never heard of a postal vote? Either apply for that in the future or man- up and get some exercise by taking an evening stroll to the polling station.

It should be everyone's obligation to vote if they are a citizen of this country.

The decisions that are made by a political party effect you.

You could always use your vote as a protest vote, imagine the fun in that. It's comparable to giving a political party you don't like, a bloody nose. It's like a game of chess, you need to be calculating with your moves.

At least that way you will fulfil your right to vote, after all it's only once every five years. Shame on you for not voting. In that case, you have no right to complain about a party's policies when they achieve power.

I can't vote by post, that's nearly as much of a to do as going to the polling station. I've never strolled anywhere in my life so that's out. Even if they allowed me to vote online, I'd still need an incentive, maybe, vote before 7pm this evening to receive £25 off your next shop at Waitrose. The fact we can't vote online in this day and age is honestly ridiculous.

I can't vote by post, that's nearly as much of a to do as going to the polling station. I've never strolled anywhere in my life so that's out. Even if they allowed me to vote online, I'd still need an incentive, maybe, vote before 7pm this evening to receive £25 off your next shop at Waitrose. The fact we can't vote online in this day and age is honestly ridiculous.

Actually no - it's not ridiculous at all.

There are a lot of reasons for not voting online - most of them around transparency and secrecy of the ballot, plus the ability to recount easily. We can as a nation use pencil paper and a voting booth and elect 600+ MPs and know the result in one night.

The US spent weeks trying to elect one man using electronic voting with multitudiouns court cases trying to get it "right" and still left the impression that Bush jr was the best candidate that you would buy, not elect.

Archived