£2.50 per person corkage charge at Amraj

There is another important factor, restaurants buy in on total expected covers for each night, if you lose customers your true covers go down, but your seats stay there, as does your purchasing. It is a self defeating spiral.

It's 2.50 a bottle! If you are taking your own you are probably paying <10 for the wine which is a big saving on what you'd pay in his bar anyhow.

Honestly the tightness of Sheffielders is astounding.

I don't begrudge the Amraj guy doing this, it's fairly standard, but I do question if he understands just how miserly his customers are.

Sorry but when you do profit and loss VAT is not included.

My point of the calculation was to prove how stupid the post by confuse was.

---------- Post added 13-05-2014 at 09:14 ----------

My point was to ridicule the stupid post by confuse. He just made up his figures...

He was suggesting it is better to have the corkage and less diners.

I am on your side if you read it. More diners with no corkage.

Run at £ 20 a head the figures look even better...

6 x 20 x 10 tables and 50 % profit = £ 600 profit

6 x 20 x 5 tables and 50 % profit + 6 x 2.5 x 5 = £ 375

And no - we can leave VAT to one side please when discussing P&L.

Hi yes I can tell by reading what you have written that you was on my side of the discussion! but it does tend to run at £20ish per head! yes your right the vat should be left out

Hi yes I can tell by reading what you have written that you was on my side of the discussion! but it does tend to run at £20ish per head! yes your right the vat should be left out

ok so the £20 per head does that include the vat or is it plus vat??????

and you will of course know that the cost price of food is zero rated so no vat BUT WHEN ITS PREPARED AND SOLD TO EAT IN IT ATTRACTS VAT.so consequently vat is important in a food operation.

the vat on food cost price =0 the vat on overheads to reclaim per person= £1.00?? vat to be paid over to HMRC on your £20.00 per head if you are including vat =£3.00 simplistic but you get the gist??

---------- Post added 13-05-2014 at 10:47 ----------

Sorry but when you do profit and loss VAT is not included.

My point of the calculation was to prove how stupid the post by confuse was.

And no - we can leave VAT to one side please when discussing P&L.

see above:roll:

Does any one remember Amraj curry house at crystal peaks now moved down to Beighton village it's pot luck on the food side if you end up with a good or bad curry the dishes are expensive too some as much as £13 before rice Nans & starters etc so he knows how to charge ! It's BYO wine and larger! On the down side he charges £2.50 per person for corkage in my opinion he's shooting himself in the foot by doing so and I now I've stopped going! A lot of the regulars have done the same! Would any one else be happy to pay £2.50 per person for corkage.

I'd be more than happy to pay £2.50 corkage rather than £3.50 a pint or £12+ a bottle of wine as is the norm is most restaurants.

I guess the £2.50 includes providing you with a glass and for someone to wash it afterwards …. Having said that I have eaten on London road before when we were told …. “ we don’t have a Licence but there is a Off licence across the road “ .. They didn’t charge us anything for a glass or to remove the cork the bottle.

has it ever cross your mind , when the tight people dont go, the people with money to spent will start to come more often as there is lot less common people about,

A bottle of wine cost around £4 and is sold for £15. try and think logical instead of yorkshire then you might be able to start a business and make some real money,

Once you start to make decent money, then you would understand what i am on about, and you wouldnt boycott a restaurant just because you cant afford the £2.50 corkage, and you perfer to dine in a better surrounding instead of the local scrufs

has it ever cross your mind , when the tight people dont go, the people with money to spent will start to come more often as there is lot less common people about,

A bottle of wine cost around £4 and is sold for £15. try and think logical instead of yorkshire then you might be able to start a business and make some real money,

Once you start to make decent money, then you would understand what i am on about, and you wouldnt boycott a restaurant just because you cant afford the £2.50 corkage, and you perfer to dine in a better surrounding instead of the local scrufs

You need to learn to quit whilst you're behind. :hihi:

It's 2.50 a bottle! If you are taking your own you are probably paying <10 for the wine which is a big saving on what you'd pay in his bar anyhow.

Honestly the tightness of Sheffielders is astounding.

I don't begrudge the Amraj guy doing this, it's fairly standard, but I do question if he understands just how miserly his customers are.

If it's £2.50 per bottle then I have no problem with that, as long as it's clear and the people who drink in a party can pay for their own corkage.

The earlier comment about it being £2.50 per person was the issue that I had, as that makes it sound like some sort of arbitrary application where everybody in a party is assumed to be drinking unless you can prove otherwise.