£2.50 per person corkage charge at Amraj

Yes it was a lot better at the old place next to the UCI , I'm not sure why he doesn't have a licence down at Beighton . Yes the owner of the Amraj , Nadeem is easy to get on with and always chats to his customers. Maybe he will get it right at this new place it's still early days yet. It's personal choice but I did enjoy the buffet at the new Aagrah .

The corkage down at the amraj is not the only reason I decided not to go anymore my original post also said this read below! the corkage was the last straw!

it's pot luck on the food side if you end up with a good or bad curry the dishes are expensive too some as much as £13 before rice Nans & starters etc so he knows how to charge ! It's BYO wine and larger! On the down side he charges £2.50 per person for corkage

Thats what I mean, it just seems like this thread has spiralled off into a nonsense about corkage. If the food was spot on every time would you care what the charge was? Probably not, you'd be so happy that the curry was filling sizzingly good you'd be happy to pay it

Yes it was a lot better at the old place next to the UCI , I'm not sure why he doesn't have a licence down at Beighton . Yes the owner of the Amraj , Nadeem is easy to get on with and always chats to his customers. Maybe he will get it right at this new place it's still early days yet. It's personal choice but I did enjoy the buffet at the new Aagrah .

I might give it a try then. Although I can't fault the Apna

I might give it a try then. Although I can't fault the Apna

Never been but I will try it.

---------- Post added 17-05-2014 at 17:28 ----------

Thats what I mean, it just seems like this thread has spiralled off into a nonsense about corkage. If the food was spot on every time would you care what the charge was? Probably not, you'd be so happy that the curry was filling sizzingly good you'd be happy to pay it

Yes I take your point good food at reasonable prices and I might go along with the corkage! But he's already over priced so he's adding insult to injury charging £2.50 per person

Got to agree with you here and although I have only been in on one occasion I haven't actually known anyone as yet complain about the standard of the food. However business appears to be slow - you only have to walk or drive past to come to that conclusion. My belief is that because there are many other (some similar and some very different) eating establishments within a short distance then they have to compete. If you get the same quality food in two places with similar ambiance, menu and quality of service (akash at woodhouse; aagrah at Crystal peaks) then the price and whether or not the restaurant has a license must become factors. We would rather go to a restaurant with a license as we don't want to decide beforehand how much we are going to drink or even what. eg, suppose we took 3 bottles of wine but only drank 1 and then decided to move on somewhere else for a drink somewhere with a license. Yes I know you could probably leave them and collect them later but I would rather not have that (albeit very minor) inconvenience. As far as price is concerned this isn't Dore it's Beighton people are not scruffs as one poster has put it but very few can be regarded as affluent either and it is not really a place where people who are will visit for a meal or night out so the corkage is just an extra and possibly an inconvenience on top of what many perceive to be an expensive menu anyway.

Edited by Joe-b-1

Got to agree with you here and although I have only been in on one occasion I haven't actually known anyone as yet complain about the standard of the food. However business appears to be slow - you only have to walk or drive past to come to that conclusion. My belief is that because there are many other (some similar and some very different) eating establishments within a short distance then they have to compete. If you get the same quality food in two places with similar ambiance, menu and quality of service (akash at woodhouse; aagrah at Crystal peaks) then the price and whether or not the restaurant has a license must become factors. We would rather go to a restaurant with a license as we don't want to decide beforehand how much we are going to drink or even what. eg, suppose we took 3 bottles of wine but only drank 1 and then decided to move on somewhere else for a drink somewhere with a license. Yes I know you could probably leave them and collect them later but I would rather not have that (albeit very minor) inconvenience. As far as price is concerned this isn't Dore it's Beighton people are not scruffs as one poster has put it but very few can be regarded as affluent either and it is not really a place where people who are will visit for a meal or night out so the corkage is just an extra and possibly an inconvenience on top of what many perceive to be an expensive menu anyway.

You've hit the nail on the head with your explanation.

Edited by allwednesday

If you really want to know you could look back at my previous posts and discover that I am a mathematics teacher with a degree and a PGCE in mathematics. Since you seem to think mega has a low IQ (from where I'm sitting it appears higher than yours as he can spell and doesn't appear to be literally challenged) my official Mensa IQ is 167. What is your great profession and IQ out of interest. You can't have a few bottles of wine from the restaurant as you stated in post 47. Which part of not licensed is causing you a problem?

My Bold

I am not sure i believe your IQ score, and ime reasonably confident you couldn't care less what i believe.

Mark Labbett's IQ is 155

http://www.wilderdom.com/intelligence/IQWhatScoresMean.html

so what? usually corkage is per bottle and even if it is 2.50 per head the place has rent rates and god knows what else to pay, why not buy what he sells behind the bar then no corkage1 why do people who go out to eat bother if they are just going to whine about the price:roll::roll:

what is corkage?

I agree with you, you've nailed it down.

The corkage thing is a factor but its not the prime reason why business is slow. The reason the restaurant isn't full is because the food isn't great. If the food outshone everywhere around it and it were competitively priced corkage wouldn't matter.

As things stand from what the OP tells us when you go you may get good food or you may not that combined with this corkage thing makes it not worth going. The owner needs to get the food sorted first and then things might fall into place but based on the way customers have and are abandoning the place its going to take some time to win them back

Can't you just take a bottle with a screw cap?

I had this conversation with a friend yesterday regarding an Italian on High Street at Ecclesfield and they charge £3 per bottle, even with a screw top, and £9 to open 1 box of wine. Unbelievable.