General elections - hello coalition era.

If we take the current opinion polls as a barometer for next years' general election than it is clear that once again there will be no majority party. With the economy seemingly recovering it looks like both the Tories and possibly the LibDems will regain a bit of ground over the coming year, wiping away whatever small lead Labour had (which still wasn't enough to govern alone).

If this is the current state of the electorate than the votes going to UKIP and LibDems serve as a means to continue with the idea of coalitions - regardless of whether people want them or not. It is interesting to see this develop over the coming years - support for Labour and Tories might well collapse and other parties could well pick up the pieces.

Next year we could have a Tory/UKIP coalition, a LibDem/Labour coalition or a LibDem/Tory coalition again. Interesting times, and, in my opinion, time to start talking about proportional representation again.

Credits: Anna Glypta posted a link to the polls in the Unemployment Down, Inflation Down thread.

Things aren't going too badly to be honest, I don't really see the point in rocking the boat and massively changing things up.

A slow, steady recovery seems to be working well for us - we've still got a way to go before the debt mountain is back to a decent level.

Things aren't going too badly to be honest, I don't really see the point in rocking the boat and massively changing things up.

A slow, steady recovery seems to be working well for us - we've still got a way to go before the debt mountain is back to a decent level.

Yes, agree entirely. I think the big bonus of a coalition is that it takes the edge off of having effectively one person in charge.

Yep, although it was kinda unfortunate the Proportional Representation didn't get off the ground, or the reform of the house of lords.

Still the economy didn't end up in the toilet like the French, Spanish, Irish, Greek, Italians, Portugese, Cypriots etc etc

Yep, although it was kinda unfortunate the Proportional Representation didn't get off the ground, or the reform of the house of lords.

Still the economy didn't end up in the toilet like the French, Spanish, Irish, Greek, Italians, Portugese, Cypriots etc etc

I genuinely hope that the decline of the traditional two will force PR at some point. We will have to see how that develops.

Aren't half of those coalition governments?

Our government might not have reached those levels of indecisive incompetence yet, but give it a few more years of coalitions.

Besides, if Scotland goes independent it'll be a Tory dictatorship.

Yes, agree entirely. I think the big bonus of a coalition is that it takes the edge off of having effectively one person in charge.

well with the lib dems effectively locked in a dark cupboard and only let out for special occasions it may as well be one person in charge Oo

Aren't half of those coalition governments?

Now, or in the prodeeding decades that lead them to the brink??

I think most of those countries were in so deep it didn't matter who was at the helm when they got their bailout money.

Besides, if Scotland goes independent it'll be a Tory dictatorship.

Actually it won't.

In fact election results from 1997 and from 2001 would still give a Labour majority without Scottish seats :):)

Now, or in the prodeeding decades that lead them to the brink??

I think most of those countries were in so deep it didn't matter who was at the helm when they got their bailout money.

Both? PR systems encourage lots of fringe parties & split the vote up so much that it's always a coalition. Then the politicians decide between themselves who rules, often forming some strange allegiances. Then the fringe parties in the ruling coalition always want their own way, they all have arguments, nothing gets done, another election is called & the EU has to bail them out.

Italy is a good example of how PR can go terribly wrong.

If we take the current opinion polls as a barometer for next years' general election than it is clear that once again there will be no majority party. With the economy seemingly recovering it looks like both the Tories and possibly the LibDems will regain a bit of ground over the coming year, wiping away whatever small lead Labour had (which still wasn't enough to govern alone).

If this is the current state of the electorate than the votes going to UKIP and LibDems serve as a means to continue with the idea of coalitions - regardless of whether people want them or not. It is interesting to see this develop over the coming years - support for Labour and Tories might well collapse and other parties could well pick up the pieces.

Next year we could have a Tory/UKIP coalition, a LibDem/Labour coalition or a LibDem/Tory coalition again. Interesting times, and, in my opinion, time to start talking about proportional representation again.

Credits: Anna Glypta posted a link to the polls in the Unemployment Down, Inflation Down thread.

We agree on something else. :o

---------- Post added 14-05-2014 at 18:52 ----------

Its not likely to be with Labour and the Conservatives permanently at the helm, its not in their interest or their supporters interests.

Archived