Dentist advice please.

Just called to make an appointment with my dentist; and they've dropped me off their system (apparently because it's over 6 years since my pervious visit).

Are they allowed to do that? Seems a little convenient for them, as they're not taking any new NHS patients. If they get rid of existing NHS patients on their system, and only take on new private patients, they eventually increate the % of private patients, which presumably they make more money from?

Anyhow, how does it work now; what are the fees like going through the NHS vs private? Also, I'm self-employed, so would I be eligible for NHS dental treatment in any case?

Thanks.

Yes waldo im afraid they can drop you off the list, there is a certain length off time you have to go for a check up or they can drop you (not sure what the time limit is for this)

My argument is that if someone does,nt go to the doctors for 6 years would they be struck off ? no they would,nt is the answer.

You will have to look around for another dentist that will take nhs patients im afraid or go private.

Thank you Graham,

I think it may be 6 years.

Am I being unreasonable in my appraisal that it's (for them) about getting rid of NHS patients, and replacing them with more lucrative private ones; this, dropping you from their system, is something that's motivated by greed?

I just did a search for a NHS dentist here: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/find-an-NHS-dentist.aspx

My old dentist shows up on that list. Seems strange, given that they're not taking any new NHS patients!

They can drop you off because you are effectively taking the spot of someone else that does want to come regularly. Don't see an issue with it really.

Okay, but I don't see how it is taking a 'spot'?

Surely, all you're taking up, is presumably a single record in a database on a computer somewhere? If you're not making any appointments, I don't see how you're occupying the time of the dentist, such that you prevent his other patients from being seen.

I believe most dentists are self employed and do a mix of NHS patients and private ones, regular appointments means regular income, i dont think you are being unreasonable its just the way things are nowadays im afraid.

Thank you Graham and AO.

Just phoned one, and they have a waiting list for NHS, but only if you're recommended by a friend or family member. I did ask why they do that, they said it was something to do with funding, didn't make all that much sense to be honest!

Is that a common thing? Why do they do that?

Archived