Real Ale and the World Cup - A match made in heaven!

Why thankfully? There are many of us who like both real ale and watching football on TV. Why do so many pubs think we either want one or the other?

thankfully cos I like to enjoy my beer in peace! I fully realise some people like both real ale and football, but equally many of use like decent beer (which may or may not be real ale) and like to enjoy it without hearing a couple of dozen people shouting at a telly... ergo, I am thankful that my favourite pubs do not have TVs

The world cup is fantastic because it means football is on the telly and everyone can see it. Just like the FA cup final used to be (and still is, just about). Really special and everyone watches it - even people that aren't massive football fans.

Because it's not on subscription TV via Sky/BT/Setanta/Disney/Coca-Cola football belongs to all of us again, just like proper pubs do. Jumpers for goalposts and pints of creamy ale all round.

Common Room, The Museum, The Brown Bear have real ale & sports. Not the greatest pubs, but need to compromise, since the good ones don't have a TV.

So list some more pubs with good beer & a good tv with football on it... No point listing pubs with no TV.

thankfully cos I like to enjoy my beer in peace! I fully realise some people like both real ale and football, but equally many of use like decent beer (which may or may not be real ale) and like to enjoy it without hearing a couple of dozen people shouting at a telly... ergo, I am thankful that my favourite pubs do not have TVs

Who does Ergo play for? Is he Portuguese , perchance?

Old Monk will show it of course. Not the greatest beer tho. Cavendish too. And whilst they don't have a great selection of real ale they do have 5 craft kegs now that are worth it. If you don't mind those also try the Jaipur Arms in the Cutlers Hotel which I know has sport and Thornbridge beer.

Going off at a slight tangent I rememeber The Hop putting a projection screen up for some sporting even once (why am I thinking golf?) So although they don't have Sky or anything they may be prepared to show sport that is on terrestrial TV. And surely the World Cup must be a consideration? Maybe worth checking with them?

Not sure if I'm honest. It certainly wasn;t the World Cup I was thinking about. Might have been the cricket - honesly can;t remember. But they DID show something - on a big screen behind the stage.

Common Room, The Museum, The Brown Bear have real ale & sports. Not the greatest pubs, but need to compromise, since the good ones don't have a TV.

So list some more pubs with good beer & a good tv with football on it... No point listing pubs with no TV.

As you say, beer geeks wishing to watch world cup football in the pub may need to compromise a little.

Personally I'm looking a little way out of town for possible places to watch the football. The Jolly Farmer in Dronfield Woodhouse should be passable for this. If the Travellers Rest in Apperknowle has the football on then that should be good. And there is the the question of whether the White Swan in Chesterfield will be showing the football in their upstairs room.

As you say, beer geeks wishing to watch world cup football in the pub may need to compromise a little.

Personally I'm looking a little way out of town for possible places to watch the football. The Jolly Farmer in Dronfield Woodhouse should be passable for this. If the Travellers Rest in Apperknowle has the football on then that should be good. And there is the the question of whether the White Swan in Chesterfield will be showing the football in their upstairs room.

Just outside town probably can't do a lot better than Crookes into Broomhill. The Ball, Noahs Ark, Grindstone, Fox and Duck, Nottingham House and The Place all do ale and show the football. Going the other direction from the Ball you could hit the Cobden and then Rawson Spring of course. Think that area is where I will head if in Sheffield.

Archived