Real Ale and the World Cup - A match made in heaven!

thankfully cos I like to enjoy my beer in peace! I fully realise some people like both real ale and football, but equally many of use like decent beer (which may or may not be real ale) and like to enjoy it without hearing a couple of dozen people shouting at a telly... ergo, I am thankful that my favourite pubs do not have TVs

During the last World Cup when England played USA on Saturday night, me and my mate popped into The Kelham Island Tavern for a swift beer.. It was the quietest I've ever seen it, with only 2 or 3 other people in the pub.

We then went to The Riverside where they had a big projector on in the outside area.....The pub was absolutely rammed.

Regards

Doom

Just out of town at Crookes there is The Ball

Screens inside the pub and 14 real ales. Also they have a screen outside which you can see, it is shaded from the sun.

Beehive is another one, 4 real ales. Screens everywhere.

Just out of town at Crookes there is The Ball

Screens inside the pub and 14 real ales. Also they have a screen outside which you can see, it is shaded from the sun.

Beehive is another one, 4 real ales. Screens everywhere.

Does The Ball have 14 ales on?!? Not been there for years. What sort of ales?

Does The Ball have 14 ales on?!? Not been there for years. What sort of ales?

Usual Greedy King stuff, but also the best selection of local and further afield guests I've seen in any of their Sheff pubs. No particular style preference as far as I can tell (apart from pale to go with the weather).

Usual Greedy King stuff, but also the best selection of local and further afield guests I've seen in any of their Sheff pubs. No particular style preference as far as I can tell (apart from pale to go with the weather).

That sounds quite impressive.

Regards

Doom

The World Cup is almost upon us, and with it comes the age old quandary for those of us whose love of a decent pint of ale is matched only by their joy at a David Pleat like volley into the Belgian net: Which is the best pub to cheer the boys to victory in? Now I know this is a highly subjective question so, to clarify, I’ll list my favourite Sheffield pubs and if anyone thinks they’ll be showing the games please share the good news:

Shakespeares

Riverside

Barrack

Gardeners Rest

Sheaf View

Hallamshire

Closed Shop

Rutland

Greystones

Any other suggestions gratefully received

No sports bars or Carlsberg sellers please (those ads don’t fool nobody!)

David Platt volley, David Pleat only scored in the red light district if the press at the time was to be believed.

Real Ale and Football just does not mix, the sandals and tweed jacket brigade with their pathetic booklet with their tasting notes, holding up service because they would like a 'taster' before they invest in half a pint!! (to wash down yesterdays lunch which remain in their beard) No, I would rather mingle the the Carlsberg lads because they are more likely to be passionate about football.

The Banner Cross for me, decent ale and great atmosphere.

COME ON ENGLAND

The Queen`s Head is nice now. Not sure how many screen they have but would be good if you get a decent spot.

Banner Cross is a great sporty pub and passable ale, ish.

Riverside good if you can squeeze in.

---------- Post added 23-05-2014 at 17:30 ----------

The Cross Scythes on Derbyshire Lane will be showing matches apparently!

thankfully cos I like to enjoy my beer in peace! I fully realise some people like both real ale and football, but equally many of use like decent beer (which may or may not be real ale) and like to enjoy it without hearing a couple of dozen people shouting at a telly... ergo, I am thankful that my favourite pubs do not have TVs

Fully agree, there seem to be a few useful ideas on here for a relaxing pint of refreshing ale without copping for the football crowd...

I guess that the majority of pubs will be showing the football so, it's good that a few probably won't be to offer a choice for those of us who'd rather chill out in peace!

Archived