Real Ale and the World Cup - A match made in heaven!

The Cross Scythes on Derbyshire Lane will be showing matches apparently!

They will be (including the England match with 11pm kick off, as it is on a Saturday and only requires the pub to open for about an extra half hour), and to the OP, for your favourite list of pubs, I don't believe any other Thornbridge pubs will be getting a TV - which rules out the Greystones (and Hallamshire if you mean the Hallamshire House).

They will be (including the England match with 11pm kick off, as it is on a Saturday and only requires the pub to open for about an extra half hour), and to the OP, for your favourite list of pubs, I don't believe any other Thornbridge pubs will be getting a TV - which rules out the Greystones (and Hallamshire if you mean the Hallamshire House).

Apart from the Jaipur Arms in town. Be interesting to see how it works at Cross Scythes.

• 2 weeks later...

There will be 2 60 inch TV's showing all the big games live in the beer garden at the University Arms (weather permitting) we will also be staying open until 1am for the England Vs Italy game (Sat 14th) with food available until midnight.

We will be serving a special tournament menu each day from 8pm throughout the World Cup along with a range of drinks offers - come on down for more info!

There will be 2 60 inch TV's showing all the big games live in the beer garden at the University Arms (weather permitting) we will also be staying open until 1am for the England Vs Italy game (Sat 14th) .......

You say weather permitting - so if it starts raining when a match is on, do you mean the plugs are pulled and everyone has to leg it somewhere else to watch it? I think as a potential customer I'd need to be sure the game is definitely ON whatever happens with the weather.

You say weather permitting - so if it starts raining when a match is on, do you mean the plugs are pulled and everyone has to leg it somewhere else to watch it? I think as a potential customer I'd need to be sure the game is definitely ON whatever happens with the weather.

In the case of bad weather we will make sure there are TVs available inside. Lets hope for sunshine though!

We'll be showing all the World Cup games. We have two rooms, each with a TV. We also have a snug which you can reserve with it's own TV and private bar hatch if you want a bit of privacy. We've posted some photos on our Facebook page: TheDogandPartridgeSheffield (sorry, Sheffield Forum won't let me paste the link) You can call us on 01142706156 to reserve.

Six cask ales (we were Sheffield CAMRA Pub of the Month in March) and no Carling or Carlsberg! There's always a good atmosphere during sport matches as we usually have a good mix of fans.

Banner Cross with their outdoor screen and BBQ?

yes Sir! good shout!

Although, it sounds like our OP is a bit of an ale connoisseur and might be a tad disappointed with the "mainstream" ales at the Banner Cross. However, it has a surprisingly large rear garden with big screen and several rooms with screens inside.

I had never been in that place until Blades played Yeovil in the 2nd leg of the play-offs (sorry to drag up such a dull memory). Having seen our antics in the first leg I was not of the mood to drive to Somerset to see the 2nd leg, so the Banner Cross afforded me some footballing comfort.

I would definitely go back there again but only to watch the footy, not particularly for the beer.

Archived