Which martial art should I take up?

Guest brownd95

Guest brownd95

Hi.

I'm just about to finish my studies for good in 3 weeks and after getting fat, now looking to get into some form of martial arts. I used to study Taekwondo when I was younger but left as I didnt enjoy the physical sparring( getting beat up). I loved the physical workout, routines and self defence.

Can someone suggest another form of martial art where:

1) I can get fit - High intensity training is great

2) Not so concentrated on sparring but more on self defence/routines.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Hi.

I'm just about to finish my studies for good in 3 weeks and after getting fat, now looking to get into some form of martial arts. I used to study Taekwondo when I was younger but left as I didnt enjoy the physical sparring( getting beat up). I loved the physical workout, routines and self defence.

Can someone suggest another form of martial art where:

1) I can get fit - High intensity training is great

2) Not so concentrated on sparring but more on self defence/routines.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Dave, no club should allow any member to get "beat up", that is just wrong.

I know that Chefkicker, who posts on here, has a kickboxing club in town, where you can go and train, no membership fees, and you can get fit with no pressure to spar.

As far as I know, Wicker Camp Thai Boxing is the same, in fact a lot of clubs will be the same.

I have not been to either of the above, but have heard good things.

Hope you find something pal.

Not sure I'd recommend Wicker Camp these days. I used to train there about eight/ten years ago and loved it, but when I moved back in 2011 it had changed. The younger instructors who have taken over from Mick and Trix aren't as good, they let beginners hit the pads any old how and don't seem to mind if their technique is dangerous as long as they're hitting as hard as they can! I went elsewhere before I wound up with a broken jaw.

You could try Historical European Martial Arts. I run a group in Sheffield which studies unarmed striking and grappling, dagger attack and defence and longsword. We cover a lot of technique, drills/self defence as well as sparring.

Our website is http://www.the-exiles.org.uk

Our Sheffield branch Facebook page is;

http://www.facebook.com/TheExilesSheffield

• 4 months later...

If you are available on Wednesdays, check out weaponskills.org.uk We are a hobby group that currently trains in Rapier, Staff, Longsword and Dussack. What we do is also known as Western Martial Arts - training in those forms of combat practiced by our ancestors throughout Europe and throughout history, usually with the help of historical manuscripts written by fencing masters of old.

What's more we are holding an open evening on Wednesday 8th October from 7.30pm which will include taster sessions (suitable for complete beginners) in a variety of historical weapons. It will be a great opportunity to come and experience what we do and see if you want to train with us.

Best of all, this open session will be completely free and there will be lots of other potential new members joining in.

If you want any more information there are contact details on our website. weaponskills.org.uk is the website for the Sheffield Chapter of the Society for the Study of Swordsmanship.

Here`s my tuppence worth.

I teach Traditional Karate, not sport Karate. The difference being is that through our Holistic training methods you learn to grow with your martial art in body and mind. Principle based learning allows you to understand how Martial arts work in a safe and friendly environment applying yourself to self defence and self development at the same time.

The sessions are geared towards getting a good sweat on and positive learning, through kick boxing, close quarter, basic grappling and groundwork, kata and functional application. Anyway..... Look for other threads on here under Seishin if you want class details. I am starting a couple of new beginners classes next week in Crookes and Meersbrook. We also have a class in Hunters bar too.

Good luck with your search. Enjoy your training whatever you decide to do. :)