Owlthorpe mine shafts

If you stand at the gates of Birley garden centre and look accross the road, there used to be a mine shaft there in the copse. There is a slag heap to guide you.

There is also a drift mine up the lane opposite the British Oak pub called Moorside.

I suggest Google Maps for historical information as there used to be lots of small pits in that area.

If you stand at the gates of Birley garden centre and look accross the road, there used to be a mine shaft there in the copse. There is a slag heap to guide you.

There is also a drift mine up the lane opposite the British Oak pub called Moorside.

I suggest Google Maps for historical information as there used to be lots of small pits in that area.

Is the drift mine still open? Isn't it the same company that mines on Rotherside Road in Eckington?

Sorry,can,t say whether any of the Mosborough pits are still working,its a long time since I lived there,even my other half who is an Eckington bloke,can,t remember who owns what or where.

The drift mine across from the oak closed down some 30 years ago. There's now some houses built directly on top of the adit. The only evidence left being a spoil heap with some rubble. It's the mine shaft at owlthorpe opposite the garden centre I'm interested in

Archived