Stay healthy and live longer. Really?

Regardless of how long you live, I think it is the quality of your life in that lifespan that counts. I like keeping fit and active and beng able to lead an active lifestyle. Thats my personal idea of quality of life. I couldn't bear being unfit, overweight and all the restrictions it would put on how I want to lead my life.

I don't care if someone drinks, smokes or sits around on their ass all their life while I am out leading an active life. I don't care if we died on the exact same day. I will have lead my life as I wanted and they will have done the same. It's no good saying that I lead an active life and died at an early age, I have done what I wanted to do with my life so thats all that really counts.

I didn't watch it, but I have read about it. And yes, that makes sense, your body cannot mobilize fat that quickly, although it's an adaptation issue, do it more often and it gets better at doing it (have a read about fasting runs, pre breakfast being common).

What's that got to do with sterile home environments and playing in the dirt though?

Off track Conversation from me.

Regardless of how long you live, I think it is the quality of your life in that lifespan that counts. I like keeping fit and active and beng able to lead an active lifestyle. Thats my personal idea of quality of life. I couldn't bear being unfit, overweight and all the restrictions it would put on how I want to lead my life.

I don't care if someone drinks, smokes or sits around on their ass all their life while I am out leading an active life. I don't care if we died on the exact same day. I will have lead my life as I wanted and they will have done the same. It's no good saying that I lead an active life and died at an early age, I have done what I wanted to do with my life so thats all that really counts.

True to a large extent. Although there are additional costs to society for people who do damage their bodies through abuse. The NHS is funded by all of us, but it's used more by the unhealthy.

---------- Post added 20-05-2014 at 15:03 ----------

Hmm I'm not sure Cyclone. As you say, I take snippets of info and try puzzle it together.

... Snipped ...

So I snipped the OT bit.

Off track Conversation from me.

So what is it you're not sure about?

True to a large extent. Although there are additional costs to society for people who do damage their bodies through abuse. The NHS is funded by all of us, but it's used more by the unhealthy.

---------- Post added 20-05-2014 at 15:03 ----------

So I snipped the OT bit.

So what is it you're not sure about?

Noo I'm sure about what I said. I meant that I went totally off the thread topic onto something else. You'll have to excuse me, I sometimes wonder off in to another world...:loopy:

There is the point for making people who let their health and fitness slip throughout their life pay for the treatment of illnesses brought on by their neglect.

We all know that certain activities are bad for health. Although it's personal choice if someone decides to smoke, drink to excess or eat themselves to a huge weight, why should the NHS take the hit for the treatment they need. It would be an idea to make these people contribute to the cost of treatment. After all, the illness is self inflicted.

Take smoking as an example. The tax paid on purchasing the cigarettes more than outweighs the cost of NHS treatment, so there is no argument for charging at the point of service.

And lots of healthy activities come with risk as well, football as a sport has one of the highest injury risks, NHS treatment is free though, even though people know that they risk ankle and knee injuries.

in that case then, let's encourage every smoker and drinker to up their consumption of these health killers.

Just like I increase the amount of exercise I do to keep fit, all you smokers need to put in more effort into your smoking. I can see the military style boot camps in parks up and down the country full of chain smokers, with ex army guys shouting out the best ways to smoke a fag quickly.

What an excellent, sensible post.

To those who are pointing out that an unhealthy lifestyle should be payed for by the very people with the unhealthy habits, what about those that indulge in dangerous sports? (and many sports involve taking risks.) or those who drive too fast? etc.

The point is life is for living, but it's lethal. Nobody gets out alive.

Archived