I'm going to London

If you want something a bit quirky there's a place at the royal college of surgeons called the Hunterian museum, it's...IIRC not far from Covent Garden somewhere, that sort of area -ish and it's got all like dead animals and brains and foetuses in jars and stuff, and it's got all medical equipment from the 1800s and stuff...saws and very dracorian looking instruments they used to stick up ill people's orifices.

It's free and something a little out of the usual touristy type places.

If you want something a bit quirky there's a place at the royal college of surgeons called the Hunterian museum, it's...IIRC not far from Covent Garden somewhere, that sort of area -ish and it's got all like dead animals and brains and foetuses in jars and stuff, and it's got all medical equipment from the 1800s and stuff...saws and very dracorian looking instruments they used to stick up ill people's orifices.

It's free and something a little out of the usual touristy type places.

And on the opposite side of Lincoln's Inn Fields is another 'secret' museum, the John Soane Museum, also free, but you need to queue up for it as they limit the numbers allowed in.

http://www.soane.org/

The National Gallery never fails to impress.

Also, the V & A - they have some good exhibitions...and the Imperial War Museum.

If it's good weather, go on a boat trip down the Thames.

Have a great weekend, whatever you choose to do!

(PS While you're there, please make my son clean his flat so that I don't get food poisoning or beri beri when I go down to stay in it the weekend after. He lives in Forest Gate).

How much time have you got? If it's a nice day and you don't want to spend much money you can easily kill a few hours just walking around. I would start at Trafalgar Square, walk down to the river past the Houses of Parliament, then cross over to the South Bank (there's usually something going on over there e.g. markets) then walk down along the river to Tower Bridge.

The river cruises are also worth doing - either to Hampton Court or the other direction to Greenwich and the Thames Barrier via Canary Wharf.

The Natural History and Science museums are both free to enter.

Are you taking kids or is it just adults?

---------- Post added 19-05-2014 at 06:09 ----------

Get an Oyster card as soon as you get there (if you don't have one already). And a pocket tube map.

Good advice regarding the Oyster card but personally I never understand why tourists flock to the tube. A bus journey takes a bit longer but you get a much better view of London from the top deck of a red double decker. Unless you're going to somewhere outside central London (e.g. Olympic Park) or you are working to a tight schedule I would try to travel by bus and enjoy the views.

Archived