I'm going to London

You need to book in advance ( about 6 weeks) but tea at the ritz is a great experience, the tea and coffee is served in solid silver pots and everything is delicious. Maybe for next time you go or see if there is a cancellation. Strict dress code.

There are other high end hotels that do afternoon tea if the ritz isn't available, claridges maybe.

---------- Post added 20-05-2014 at 19:12 ----------

Also one of the nice things I did was to get a coffee and go for an evening walk round tate modern.

And on the opposite side of Lincoln's Inn Fields is another 'secret' museum, the John Soane Museum, also free, but you need to queue up for it as they limit the numbers allowed in.

http://www.soane.org/

Wish I'd remembered this place when I was down there last weekend! I was stuck for something a bit different to do.

I second the Hunterian though, very, very interesting place if you're not squeamish about deformed genitals and dead babies in jars.

Greenwich and the Royal Observatory is worth a visit, with great views over The City. The museum at the Observatory is mostly free but you do have to pay to stand on the meridian line if you wish to do so. There is also the Cutty Sark and the National Maritime Museum there.

That sounds fab Fogey, I'll have a look into that.

We've decided on the McKee exhibition, the Viking and Mummy exhibition and Tower of London.

The Woolly Mammoth exhibition opens on Friday at the Natural History Museum too - with Lyuba the preserved baby mammoth!

Archived