Origin of Sheffield name

4alb

Originally posted by "Dug"

With reference to the earlier posts; it is often said about the seven hills of Sheffield etc.

But can anyone tell me what the seven hills are? As a keen cyclist I reckon there are more than flippin seven hills!

I,m a keen cyclist as well Dug,,, maybe i know you, are you a racing cyclist like me or a member of the basket brigade....

Anyway back to the 7 hills.....

As a guess i would say......( These are top of the 7 hills )

1..crosspool

2..Stannington

3..Shirecliffe

4..Winkobank

5..Manor Top

6..Grenoside

7..Norton

All though as a cyclist the biggest hills are out in the peaks, the Sheffield hills are just steady climbs...

Talking of hills Winnats Pass,,,Rowsley to Stanton,, Mam nic are about the hardest climbs in the area.

Thank for the info, Cycleracer - I've been wanting to know the names and whereabouts of the seven hills for years, but found little info in local books.

I know the Wincobank and Shirecliffe hills (I'm sandwiched between them) but what about Barnsley Road up to Sheffield lane top? Surely that's another one of the hills?

Trouble is Lane Top is a summit in between Wincobank and Shirecliffe hills.

If you notice that Shirecliffe and Wincobank have there own summits, you can only get to them by going up a hill unlike lane top which can be accessed from flatter areas.

Lane top may be known as a continuation of Wincobank.

Makes sense to me but other views may differ.

Originally posted by "crimbo"

cosywolf, that is very interesting what you've just told us, please lecture us some more.Can you confirm that the Meers Brook was once one of the boundaries between Wessex and Northumbria, and that Dore was the site of where the Kings of those areas signed a declaration (?)of peace and actually created England as a united country? How can you authenticate

any information you use, I'm not trying to be clever I'm just inerested in how these things can be proven, from what record etc.?

Crimbo

Sorry - just got back into work. Legend has it that that is correct. It should be easy enough to authenticate (or not) and I will do my best as soon as I have a mo. :D

I'm glad someone likes my lectures :lol:

Check this out

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/OMACL/Anglo/

The written history of Dore can be traced back to the year 829 and an entry (wrongly recorded as 827) in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle - “And Ecgbert led an army to Dore against the Northumbrians and they offered him obedience and concord and thereupon they separated” and thus King Ecgbert became “Our Lord of the whole English speaking race, from the Channel to the Firth of Forth”.

The importance of Dore was its position on the boundary of the Anglo Saxon kingdoms of Mercia, recently conquered by King Ecgbert of Wessex, and Northumbria, the second most powerful kingdom. At the time, Northumbria was under pressure from viking raids and unable to fight on two fronts, leading to the acceptance of Ecgbert as overlord and effectively the first king of all England.

Originally posted by "Sidla"

Just out of curiosity, I don't suppose anybody knows how Leicester got it's name? I've searched for hours, but no joy. The main river in Leicester is the Soar, so there's no connection there.

the "cester" bit is derived from the roman "castra" meaning camp, other variants being caster and chester as in Lancaster and Manchester. The "Lei" comes from the river Leire (also known as Leir, Leyre and Legre

The romans called Leicester Ratae Coritanorum the latin root of Leire-Caster comes from the influence of Latin on the English language, the anglicised name emerging later. I'm not sure at what point the natives rejected most (all?) the roman names for towns (like Bath, they called it Aquae Sulis). By about 900 AD it had names like Ledecestre, Legecestria, Leyrcestria, seems to be Leicester by the time of the Domesday book 1086.

Why Leicester not Soarcester is (not very well) explained here.

http://www.the-journal.org.uk/archive/288/3453632670.html

Soar brook was rerouted to join the river Leire resulting in the river changing its name.

Archived