Origin of Sheffield name

4alb

It's also interesting to note that, up until quite recently (maybe the 40's), locals said Sheffeld, not Sheffield. [/b]

Must have been before the 40's - I was born in Crookes in 1938 and I remember as a very young child being told that we were going into Sheffield on the tram.

Note - 'we were going into Sheffield' - not into town.

It may not be exactly this thread, but does anyone know when

'Crooks' turned into 'Crookes'?

Originally posted by chill

There is a relatively recent book on the history of Sheffield that I have bought. I can't remember the title, but it is something like "Sheffield History" or "History of Sheffield". I bought it from that Sheffield shop on Surrey Street (which has loads of really good books on local history).

This is the book I was talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

The Meers Brook runs through the Gleadless Valley, between Heeley and Meersbrook, and into the Sheaf.

It, meaning "border brook", indeed used to be the Yorks/Derbys (and therefore the Northumbria/Mercia) boundary. The border ran up the Sheaf through Abbeydale, up the Meersbrook, over the hill (just north of Charnock Hall) and then along the Shire Brook (oddly enough) to join the Rother between Beighton and Woodhouse.

Consequently, Crystal Peaks, Beighton, Charnock, Norton, Woodseats, Totley, Dore - all these are 'really' in Derbyshire, although part of Sheffield for administrative purposes, because boundary changes are purely administrative; they do not change the "true" counties.

Sheaf (sceaf) = boundary. This refers to the river which separated mercia from northumbria in this area.

Field (feld) = clearing forming settlement.

SC pronounced SH in Old English.

Settlement by the Boundary = SHEFFIELD

• 4 weeks later...

in reply to the origin of the name Leicester the Latin derivation is this.

LEI means ( Full of ) and CESTER (foreigners) therefore Leicester = Full of foreigners Makes sense to me!

Ps. See also Wolverhampton ( the black country)???

Originally posted by nimo118

in reply to the origin of the name Leicester the Latin derivation is this.

LEI means ( Full of ) and CESTER (foreigners) therefore Leicester = Full of foreigners Makes sense to me!

Ps. See also Wolverhampton ( the black country)???

Veiled racism pretending to be humour is still racism.

Originally posted by max

Veiled racism pretending to be humour is still racism.

if you have watch the politically correct stand up shows on TV which are todays so-called humour then you must realise why politically INcorrect humour must remain part of BRITISH heritage

Originally posted by nimo118

if you have watch the politically correct stand up shows on TV which are todays so-called humour then you must realise why politically INcorrect humour must remain part of BRITISH heritage

and freedom of speech or are we no longer living in a democracy????

Archived