The Conservative Party - all discussion here please.

no I don't mean the poll tax, I mean the Tory split on Europe which has cost them every election since 1997 and will cost them still with the next one.

Oh right, I thought you said 25 years putting it right into the poll tax bracket

the poll tax had no effect on the Tories' electoral fortunes as they very sensibly got rid of it and Thatcher before the 1992 election which they won by a mile and in which they received more votes than anybody else ever has even Thatcher and Blair.

unlike their split on Europe which helped to make them totally unelectable in all the elections after 1997 and after and continues to make them less electable today.

the poll tax had no effect on the Tories' electoral fortunes as they very sensibly got rid of it and Thatcher before the 1992 election which they won by a mile and in which they received more votes than anybody else ever has even Thatcher and Blair.

unlike their split on Europe which helped to make them totally unelectable in all the elections after 1997 and after and continues to make them less electable today.

I think it did. It must have come as a sheer surprise to the tories when they won the election in 92 having set the tuition fess trap, they weren't expecting to win

The Tories were shafted from Black Wednesday onwards, just a few months after the 92 election. The splits over Europe didn't help but they were doomed anyway. And then there was sleaze and Neil Hamilton.

The Tories were shafted from Black Wednesday onwards, just a few months after the 92 election. The splits over Europe didn't help but they were doomed anyway. And then there was sleaze and Neil Hamilton.

I think that all parties run out of steam, in 1992 the Tories had been in for too long. The time they took to sort themselves out showed a complete lack of focus and leadership. They remain fundamentally divided on Europe and although Cameron tried to play this down the emergence of UKIP has forced him to woo the sceptics.

Similarly Labour ran out of steam under Brown. Not to the same extent as the Major government and not for the same reasons but it seemed to run out of ideas. What bothers me about Labour is its front bench, they seem to be entirely opportunistic chancers, Angela Eagles performance on Question Time was truly lamentable, and I really cannot visualize the public voting any party in with such shockingly bad leadership and a complete dearth of policy. The latest ruse regarding cancer assessment is stupid.

Democracy is best served with an active and plausible opposition, we did not have one when Blair was in power and we do not have one now.

But Labour have been unelectable since the mid 1970s because of the shoe ins that the unions impose on them as leaders. Other than Tony Blair, who most consider a Tory anyhow, Labour have had leaders that can't win an election. It looks like history is about to repeat itself with the current no hoper. I'm seeing shades of the Kinnock debacle here. Labour voters flocking to the polls and then trying to imagine Miliband as Prime Minister and voting UKIP.

---------- Post added 20-10-2014 at 11:43 ----------

Just remind us how many Labour MPs went to prison for fraud in the last 5 years.

But Labour have been unelectable since the mid 1970s because of the shoe ins that the unions impose on them as leaders. Other than Tony Blair, who most consider a Tory anyhow, Labour have had leaders that can't win an election. It looks like history is about to repeat itself with the current no hoper. I'm seeing shades of the Kinnock debacle here. Labour voters flocking to the polls and then trying to imagine Miliband as Prime Minister and voting UKIP.

---------- Post added 20-10-2014 at 11:43 ----------

Just remind us how many Labour MPs went to prison for fraud in the last 5 years.

Yeah google Conservatives and election rigging whilst you're at it

Yeah google Conservatives and election rigging whilst you're at it

I did but managed to mis-spell Conservative

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/10/14/Labour-Mayor-Says-Promise-To-Rig-Election-Was-A-Mistake

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/4406575.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26026023

Edited by truman