The Conservative Party - all discussion here please.

But that is what sums up a typical Labour voter - you are more bothered about other people's past and the life they have led, instead of trying to advance your own life.

What the heck are you talking about ? I was merely commenting on Berberis's apparent incredulity that anyone would hate the Conservative party.

I love the Tory/Cameron mantra "its not about where you've come from but more about where you're going to ", as if going to the UK's most prestigious schools had absolutely no impact on the fact that Cameron (Eton), Clegg (Westminster), Boris (Eton), May (Cheltenham Girls, I think) had achieved power. It's as if they really believe they're just brilliant individuals rather than people born into riches and privilege which gave them the inside track in the race of life.

Don't vulgarise the discussion any further by telling me I'm "just jealous"

ps Labour wouldn't be my first choice

What do you mean "advance your own life" ?

If last year's council elections are anything to go by, one of the few certainties about the forthcoming general election is that the Tories are going to be completely irrelevant in Sheffield. Going by the council results, they won't do better than fourth anywhere in the city, and will be lucky to keep their deposit in one or two constituencies, notably Brightside & Hillsborough.

[They might squeak a third place in Penistone & Stocksbridge, but that's only partly in Sheffield. Also, the Liberals and Greens didn't field any candidates in the Barnsley wards in that constituency, which makes the analysis more tenuous.]

Sheffield Tories will have to hope that last year's council elections are not anything to go by. Up to a point that will be the case, but they only got 7% of the votes last year, and it's hard to imagine there being that big a swing in their favour.

And yet, you just know the tories will win in Uxbridge and South Ruislip with a blue rosette pinned to a dead donkey.

If last year's council elections are anything to go by, one of the few certainties about the forthcoming general election is that the Tories are going to be completely irrelevant in Sheffield. Going by the council results, they won't do better than fourth anywhere in the city, and will be lucky to keep their deposit in one or two constituencies, notably Brightside & Hillsborough.

[They might squeak a third place in Penistone & Stocksbridge, but that's only partly in Sheffield. Also, the Liberals and Greens didn't field any candidates in the Barnsley wards in that constituency, which makes the analysis more tenuous.]

Sheffield Tories will have to hope that last year's council elections are not anything to go by. Up to a point that will be the case, but they only got 7% of the votes last year, and it's hard to imagine there being that big a swing in their favour.

Labour aren't going to have any "safe" Sheffield seats this time around any more than the LibDems! I expect to see Sheffield Hallam fall!

Are you being ironic Berberis ?

Apologies for answering a question with a question but could you share something of your background with us, birth origins, school you went to, area you were brought up in, what your parents did for a living, books/literature that influenced your thinking, life experiences that caused you to think the way you do ?

I realise I'm asking for War and Peace here so don't bother answering but I think you might know where I'm coming from with those sort of questions

Ridgewalk, I don't understand what my personal information has to do with a question about why the Torys are hated so much?

---------- Post added 30-03-2015 at 13:45 ----------

Still going by the council elections,

This is your problem. You are using midterm council election results to predict the outcome of a general election. Incumbent parties always suffer at local level mid term, no matter what their political persuasion.

Anyone think Labour can win Hallam? I suspect there will be a lot of people voting for Lib Dems (even though they don't want to).

No chance. At the 2010 General Election Clegg received over 19,000 more votes than Labours Jack Scott. Labour came 3rd in that constituency. Labour will poll more votes this time round but they will not unseat Clegg.

What the heck are you talking about ? I was merely commenting on Berberis's apparent incredulity that anyone would hate the Conservative party.

I love the Tory/Cameron mantra "its not about where you've come from but more about where you're going to ", as if going to the UK's most prestigious schools had absolutely no impact on the fact that Cameron (Eton), Clegg (Westminster), Boris (Eton), May (Cheltenham Girls, I think) had achieved power. It's as if they really believe they're just brilliant individuals rather than people born into riches and privilege which gave them the inside track in the race of life.

Don't vulgarise the discussion any further by telling me I'm "just jealous"

ps Labour wouldn't be my first choice

What do you mean "advance your own life" ?

Listen hard and you'll realise Cameron only talks in soundbites, which is why he struggled so much when up against a well informed, experienced inquisitor like Paxman.

To be fair, you could say the same about Labour in Brightside & Hillsborough. On the other hand, Labour did poll 23.4% in Uxbridge & South Ruislip at the last general election, compared to the Tories' 3.9% in Brightside & Hillsborough at the last council elections (aggregated over the five wards in the parliamentary constituency); down from 11.5% at the 2010 general election.

Yes, you could but it's a favourite trot-out of the rightwingers, so they're getting a taste of their own medicine

---------- Post added 30-03-2015 at 16:18 ----------

Anyone think Labour can win Hallam? I suspect there will be a lot of people voting for Lib Dems (even though they don't want to).

That's the point, nobody wants to vote LibDems in Sheffield since they sold the city down the line with Forgemasters

Listen hard and you'll realise Cameron only talks in soundbites, which is why he struggled so much when up against a well informed, experienced inquisitor like Paxman.

Are there any leading politicians that don't use soundbites?