The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

53 minutes ago, Anna B said:

To a large extent, yes.

It's also partly to do with Jeremy Corbyn's principled refusal to sign up to an anti-semitism agreement that refuses to allow  criticism of Israel. He agrees wholeheartedly with most of the document, but says this clause curtails free speech. Israel is responsible for some very bad behaviour towards Palestinians. 

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-anti-semitism-row-key-facts/

Corbyn is just about the least anti-semitic person you could meet, but enemies both within and without the party have latched onto this accusation of anti-semitism to stir up trouble, and keep on rehashing it. (Eg. Margaret Hodge, a multi-millionaire, Jewish,, former Labour minister and vociferously, outspoken anti-Corbynite, also happens to have a daughter (Lizzi Watson) who is Deputy Editor of BBC News at 10 and 6pm.)  

https://voxpoliticalonline.com/2018/08/21/did-a-shocking-conflict-of-interest-push-margaret-hodges-attack-on-corbyn-up-the-bbc-news-agenda/

The Tory party is also responsible for some serious anti-semitic, anti-Muslim, and scandalous racism, but it fails to get more than the most minor coverage. 

The more worried the Tories and the Establishment are that Jeremy Corbyn could win an election, the more desperate and ridiculous the media coverage dissing  Corbyn becomes.

Please show me some Tory examples of antisemitism. Racism in the Tory party? Loads - Boris Johnson partakes in covert racism/ant Muslim every other telegraph article. You could find tory grass roots tossing out a bit of homophobia as well without tryinv too hard.

Antisemitism? I know Corbyns backroom and PR teams are a byword for ineptitude but surely somebody could find something somewhere. 

Truth is, and other posters have said similar, a lot of Labour supporters are so far behind the Palestinian cause that accusations of antisemitism are worth the cost of pulling down Israel.

13 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Jeremy Corbyn weak? He is the most steadfast, principled and courageous Leader they've had.

That's one way of looking at it. However many many others will interpret that as being a stubborn old mule who puts his personal 'principles' ahead of what the wider electoratoare (who he is supposed to represent) actually want.

Far too focused on serving his sycophant cultish members and neglecting the mass appeal that the party has previously had.

A failure who is dragging the party down.   A liar, a hypocrite and incompetent dinosaur not fit for the job. 

17 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Tom Watson is a snake. Could he have changed the direction of the Labour party without caving in to constant pressure, ridicule and criticism?

Jeremy Corbyn weak? He is the most steadfast, principled and courageous Leader they've had.

Cheers Anna, I could have done with a laugh today.

6 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Please show me some Tory examples of antisemitism. Racism in the Tory party? Loads - Boris Johnson partakes in covert racism/ant Muslim every other telegraph article. You could find tory grass roots tossing out a bit of homophobia as well without tryinv too hard.

Antisemitism? I know Corbyns backroom and PR teams are a byword for ineptitude but surely somebody could find something somewhere. 

Truth is, and other posters have said similar, a lot of Labour supporters are so far behind the Palestinian cause that accusations of antisemitism are worth the cost of pulling down Israel.

I might be displaying even more ignorance, but i suspect 99% of labour (or conservative) supporters dont give the Palestine situation a second thought. Its just another war/struggle in some far flung land that will probably never end and doesnt really affect our lives one jot- other than it taking up a  surprisingly disproportionate amount of BBC Radio 4s airtime.

https://order-order.com/2019/03/01/local-labour-parties-jump-pro-chris-williamson-bandwagon/

Sheffield Hallam Labour party to write a letter asking for Williamson to be re-instated saying it's all '“establishment media” conspiracy promoting the idea that the Labour Party is institutionally anti-Semitic'

The 'establishment media' sobs story again.

In other news, the former Labour peer Lord Ahmed has been charged with underage rape dating from the 1970s.

18 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

I might be displaying even more ignorance, but i suspect 99% of labour (or conservative) supporters dont give the Palestine situation a second thought. Its just another war/struggle in some far flung land that will probably never end and doesnt really affect our lives one jot- other than it taking up a  surprisingly disproportionate amount of BBC Radio 4s airtime.

Perhaps members/activists rather than supporters might have been a better word but I take your point.

Remember when Lord Ahmed was suspended for being anti semitic back in 2013 after his driving offence?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/mar/14/labour-suspends-muslim-peer-lord-ahmed

Miliband said: "There is no place for antisemitism in the Labour party, and frankly anybody who makes those kinds of comments cannot be either a Labour lord or a Labour member of parliament."

It's like nothing has changed isn't it.

Edited by the_bloke

3 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

https://order-order.com/2019/03/01/local-labour-parties-jump-pro-chris-williamson-bandwagon/

Sheffield Hallam Labour party to write a letter asking for Williamson to be re-instated saying it's all '“establishment media” conspiracy promoting the idea that the Labour Party is institutionally anti-Semitic'

The 'establishment media' sobs story again.

In other news, the former Labour peer Lord Ahmed has been charged with underage rape dating from the 1970s.

To add to accusations of  " exploiting his position to pursue sex with vulnerable women who asked him for help"

...and being  "jailed for 12 weeks after admitting sending texts while driving shortly before his Jaguar ploughed into a stationary car on the M1, killing its driver"

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

Tom Watson is a snake. Could he have changed the direction of the Labour party without caving in to constant pressure, ridicule and criticism?

Ah, got the old Corbyn-Good, Watson-Bad glasses on again?

Why is he a "snake"?  Because he dares stand up to Corbyn?  Or because your fellow Corbyn worshippers have said to hate him?

Corbynites call on Tom Watson to resign with new Twitter campaign

https://labourlist.org/2018/08/corbynites-call-on-tom-watson-to-resign-with-new-twitter-campaign/

Steadfast?  Doesn't that mean unwavering and firm?  Remind me again what he said about a second referendum during the last election, and what he said last week.

No doubt you'll twist this into "listening to the will of the people".  But if it were a Tory you'd be screaming "U-turn, U-turn".

2 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

I might be displaying even more ignorance, but i suspect 99% of labour (or conservative) supporters dont give the Palestine situation a second thought. 

I can't understand what their fascination is with it.  I don't recall any of this business when Miliband, Brown or Blair were in charge.

Labour conference: Members fill hall with Palestinian flags

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45634379

Edited by alchresearch