The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

On 29/06/2020 at 00:14, makapaka said:

Of course it is. It’s also important he has a substantiated alternative where he disagrees with an approach by the government.

he hammered the government about kids going back to school safely - then asked why they they weren’t.

Opposition isn’t just about opposing - it’s about proposing alternatives.

Starmer the charmer won't upset the teaching unions, many of the Labourite members are quite happy to stay at home on full pay having 6 months holiday instead of their usual 3, had they been on furlough or threatened with losing their jobs they would probably have been more co-operative !

1 hour ago, Michael_W said:

Starmer the charmer won't upset the teaching unions, many of the Labourite members are quite happy to stay at home on full pay having 6 months holiday instead of their usual 3, had they been on furlough or threatened with losing their jobs they would probably have been more co-operative !

You have a horribly cynical attitude to teachers Michael; having worked in schools for the best part of a decade I know plenty of them.

Without exception, those that I know have been working as hard as they can, whether from home trying to carry on with distance learning, or those that have stayed in school working with keyworker kids. They worry, they care deeply about the children they work with and the last few months have been anything other than the easy time of it you're suggesting.

2 hours ago, Michael_W said:

Except for the fact that teachers are still working.

On 29/06/2020 at 14:23, makapaka said:

Yes - but you shouldn’t subsequently criticise a decision or action taken if you have no alternative to propose.

if the decision or action is clearly wrong then having an alternative isn't necessary and the role of PMQs isn't to do that. There are plenty of other ways of affecting policy and making suggestions. 

Guest makapaka
1 minute ago, andyofborg said:

if the decision or action is clearly wrong then having an alternative isn't necessary and the role of PMQs isn't to do that. There are plenty of other ways of affecting policy and making suggestions. 

it isn’t just questions on PMQs though is it - they also challenge the answers.

The point I’m making about starmer in that instance was that he loses credibility if he challenges the governments response - and when they act in line with the alternative he proposes then challenges that also. 

32 minutes ago, makapaka said:

it isn’t just questions on PMQs though is it - they also challenge the answers.

The point I’m making about starmer in that instance was that he loses credibility if he challenges the governments response - and when they act in line with the alternative he proposes then challenges that also. 

I understand what you are saying.  It's easy to criticise.

Guest makapaka
2 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

I understand what you are saying.  It's easy to criticise.

Exactly.

and I get there are things to criticise also. 

On 02/07/2020 at 18:54, Halibut said:

You have a horribly cynical attitude to teachers Michael; having worked in schools for the best part of a decade I know plenty of them.

Without exception, those that I know have been working as hard as they can, whether from home trying to carry on with distance learning, or those that have stayed in school working with keyworker kids. They worry, they care deeply about the children they work with and the last few months have been anything other than the easy time of it you're suggesting.

I know my other half has worked in school for the last twenty years, cynical me ?    Too bloody right I am !

On 02/07/2020 at 16:11, altus said:

Apart from a few resolutely anti Labour papers (who'd report absolutely anything if it could be twisted to show Labour in a bad light) and one local to her constituency has any publication of note reported it?

Is it actually newsworthy?

It's not the number of 'anti-Labour' newspapers that's important, but the size of their circulation. I would hazard a guess that the 'reporting' and opinions of the Daily Mail reaches far more people than the Guardian. 

Nor does a retraction or apology, squirreled away at the bottom of an inside page, equal the half page innacurate Headline emblazened on the front page of the Daily Mail, readable from the far side of the garage forecourt. 

When it comes to the media, it is not an even playing field. 

37 minutes ago, Anna B said:

It's not the number of 'anti-Labour' newspapers that's important, but the size of their circulation. I would hazard a guess that the 'reporting' and opinions of the Daily Mail reaches far more people than the Guardian. 

Nor does a retraction or apology, squirreled away at the bottom of an inside page, equal the half page innacurate Headline emblazened on the front page of the Daily Mail, readable from the far side of the garage forecourt. 

When it comes to the media, it is not an even playing field. 

There has to be a bit of a chicken and egg scenario here though.

The massive circulation of the, let's say more right wing, press didn't happen by accident.  The fact is we consumers choose to buy certain papers over others.  We consumers choose what we click on the internet.

With exception of the BBC the majority of media is a business like any other.   If the guardian etc what to get their supposedly more superior and important message out there they need to stop bemoaning about some unfair bias and learn how to appeal to the mass consumers.