The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Martin mcguinness and gerry adams have tweeted their congratulations!

Some have very short memories.

---------- Post added 12-09-2015 at 15:12 ----------

And the first thing he does is go to make a speach at a pro- refugee rally!

Is this really what this country needs?

No doubt he will be clothing and feeding them out of the defence budget,leaving is wide open if we leave nato like he wants.

I despair.

Edited by yellowperil

Looks like the possibility of Labour getting in at the next General Election has diminished now Jeremy Corbyn has been elected leader of the Labour Party.

I think he could win Labour the next election but in doing so he will make Labour unelectable for generations, he will bankrupt the country in the first couple of years and mass riots will spread round the country as millions of people loose their jobs.

I think he could win Labour the next election but in doing so he will make Labour unelectable for generations, he will bankrupt the country in the first couple of years and mass riots will spread round the country as millions of people loose their jobs.

Sounds like the Britain that inspired 'Ghost Town' around 1981 :hihi:

I think we have to wait and see. He's a lot more middle ground than people think. Remember he started as a complete no hoper in the leadership election, and look what happened. And that was with almost total negativity in the media.

It seems an awful lot of the people want change, hence the rise (and fall) of the Lib Dems, the SNP, et al. Corbyn could go the same way of course, but I wouldn't bet on it. He's different; an honest man who claimed £130 pounds expenses in the year before the expenses scandal, and who doesn't belong to the 'professional politicians' club.

My greatest fear is that an honest man will be eaten alive by a bunch of lying. vipers

I think we have to wait and see. He's a lot more middle ground than people think. Remember he started as a complete no hoper in the leadership election, and look what happened. And that was with almost total negativity in the media.

It seems an awful lot of the people want change, hence the rise (and fall) of the Lib Dems, the SNP, et al. Corbyn could go the same way of course, but I wouldn't bet on it. He's different; an honest man who claimed £130 pounds expenses in the year before the expenses scandal, and who doesn't belong to the 'professional politicians' club.

My greatest fear is that an honest man will be eaten alive by a bunch of lying. vipers

.........anyone can espouse how they honestly feel.......how they honestly pay for it is a different matter!

....and no doubt just like a man with the same initials from 2000 years ago,he will be eaten alive from vipers within his own party!

A lot of people do want change and that is why he could win, they just won't like the change when it results in them becoming poorer.

As someone else has said, a lot of his policies are similar to Germany's, and they seem to be doing reasonably OK.

The only problem with that is Germany has a system of PR for voting whereas we don't. Until we change to that system I feel it very unlikely that Labour will do well in any election with Corbyn or not.

Whether or not Jeremy Corbyn succeeds in 2020, I do hope that he will change the terms of the political debate. Hopefully he will raise issues that rarely seem to be discussed at the highest level of politics anymore, and that will be refreshing.

However I suspect he will be monstered by the gutter press who seem determined to drag the debate to its lowest common denominator.