The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Corbyn was simply maintaining a respectful, dignified silence.
If it makes you feel better, keep telling yourself that :)

You might like to try it sometime ;)
My, the hospital mocking charity?!? Whatever next! :hihi:

He doesn't seem too bothered about putting on a false front or playing to the media. To that extent, he is sticking to his principles.
A memorial to the Battle of Britain is hardly the arena to make a political point or statement or, indeed, "putting on a false front or playing to the media".

It's apolitical by excellence.

And the minimum expected in of any British statesman in that context, is to display a modicum of patriotism.

I'd like to think singing one's national anthem wasn't too much to ask, given the circumstances.

Especially when so much was indeed owed by so very many, including Mr Corbyn's mother (RAF Auxiliary) and father (Home Guard), to the so few who were being remembered today.

I may not be any example in Joker's esteem...but I'm not British, and I would have sang your national anthem if I'd been there.

Edited by L00b

i'm sure it was noted by the war veterans and their families.

If you want to be some gobby backbencher, yeah don't bother singing in the national anthem at event such as this. But he isn't. He's leader of the opposition with, I presume, ideas of leading the country. ALL of it, not just the parts who share his ideology.

I'd let him off at a sporting event or some such but this is very poor form.

A memorial to the Battle of Britain is hardly the arena to make a political point or statement. It's apolitical by excellence. And the minimum expected in of any statesman in that context, is to display a modicum of patriotism. I'd like to think singing one's national anthem isn't too much to ask, given the circumstances. Especially when so much was indeed owed by so very many, including Mr Corbyn's mother (RAF Auxiliary) and father (Home Guard), to so few.

I may not be any example in Joker's esteem...but I'm not British, and I would have sang your national anthem if I'd been there.

I'm confused; was this an event to remember the second world war, or was it to doff our respective hats to our royal family?

If the former, then a respectful and dignified silence is perfectly justified.

If it's the latter, then Corbyn should have humbly bowed his head before her majesty and stayed prostrate until the royal entourage had passed.

I'm confused; was this an event to remember the second world war, or was it to doff our respective hats to our royal family?

If the former, then a respectful and dignified silence is perfectly justified.

If it's the latter, then Corbyn should have humbly bowed his head before her majesty and stayed prostrate until the royal entourage had passed.

So, what, after he leads the Labour Party to victory in 2020 he won't go to the palace and accept the job or will he storm Buckingham palace instead and clamp her maj in irons? Either accept you might have to do things you don't like in the job or don't do it.

I don't like Corbyn. Or anything he stands for, BUT I have to say, because of his position he couldn't have sung it nor could he sing it. He is in an impossible position. Perhaps he shouldn't be leading a major political party in the UK.
What position is that then? Last I heard, he's accepted a Royal invite to the Privy Council.

A politician with double standards? Perish the thought!

Edited by L00b
added link

Plenty of Tories don't like Cameron, but continue to vote Conservative.

Yes, I suppose. I'm the other way around, I don't vote Tory, but like Cameron.

easy answer to that question, except they won't move anywhere as they will just vote same way that they did in May. They'll continue to vote UKIP, from whom Corbyn will be spectacularly unable to regain all those votes lost. Corbyn is a poncy pansy southern wooftah. True you could say the same about Blair. But Blair did unlike Corbyn at least have a brain.

We shall see!

What an absolute disgraceful behaviour from the new labour leader by refusing to sing our national anthem. Those who support him and the Labour Party should ask him to apologise.

Maybe he doesn’t know the words and didn't want to look stupid a la John Redwood when he was the Welsh Secretary.

I can understand why some people want to make a big fuss over a non-story but I doubt most people in the real world really give much of a toss.

Whatever his reasons for not singing along, I admire anyone who doesn't do what is expected of them just because it is expected.

Long live an individual's right to be an individual.