The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Guess we can tell who'd be singing the "symbolic" Horst-Wessel-Lied because it was expected of them and the "done thing", if events of 75 years ago had turned out differently
They didn't, and RAF airmen won't ever be thanked enough for the role they played in that outcome: operation Seelöwe was but a few Luftwaffe successes away from proceeding, and then who knows how that would have turned out, including the later opportunity for the US to build up European invasion forces locally.

If events of 75 years ago had turned out differently indeed, I very much doubt we'd be enjoying this debate, the same as I very much doubt Corbyn would be a politician, never mind elected leader of the opposition on the back of clearly leftist policies.

The irony of your post is not wasted on many ;)

Moving the thread on, for all his disdain about etiquette, I liked his approach to PMQ. Quoting voter questions makes the job on the PM that bit more demanding, which is never a bad thing. All the same, it doesn't help him assert his leadership credentials. At least there's no Messiah complex there, that much is clear.

Edited by L00b

Wayne rooney never sang the national anthem either..I think its a storm in a teacup.

As for PMqs...what little I saw, I thought it was a draw. Corbyn asked good questions from public. Cameron was a little frustrated and kept trying to move onto the economy but had some good long answers..it lacked a little excitement and corbyn will have to 'engage' at some point.

You miss he point entirely, its the National Anthem, Corbyn is the leader of the "loyal opposition". The Royal family are an irrelevance in this context. He should stand up and represent the vast majority of his party who are proud to be British and all that involves.

I don't miss the point at all, I'm as proud as anyone to be English But don't see. The relevance of a NA that merely glorifies royalty, incidentally I also don't agree with most of his policies and don't think I will be voting labour anytime in the near future.

The point I Was trying to make,perhaps badly,is that his appearance and republican views aren't relevant.

I'm also sure that he as a democratically elected leader would not get rid of the Royal family unless it was the will of the country.

---------- Post added 16-09-2015 at 13:32 ----------

Wayne rooney never sang the national anthem either..I think its a storm in a teacup.

As for PMqs...what little I saw, I thought it was a draw. Corbyn asked good questions from public. Cameron was a little frustrated and kept trying to move onto the economy but had some good long answers..it lacked a little excitement and corbyn will have to 'engage' at some point.

A political analyst said afterwards that PMQs like that won't work for Jeremy Corbyn, he made the point it was like a local radio phone-in which David Cameron does quite a lot and he's never under pressure as there are no follow up question.

A political analyst said afterwards that PMQs like that won't work for Jeremy Corbyn, he made the point it was like a local radio phone-in which David Cameron does quite a lot and he's never under pressure as there are no follow up question.

the "party" have also said corbyn will in future sing the national anthem at official events. it is all going terribly well for him so far. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

I don't miss the point at all, I'm as proud as anyone to be English But don't see. The relevance of a NA that merely glorifies royalty, incidentally I also don't agree with most of his policies and don't think I will be voting labour anytime in the near future.

The point I Was trying to make,perhaps badly,is that his appearance and republican views aren't relevant.

I'm also sure that he as a democratically elected leader would not get rid of the Royal family unless it was the will of the country.

---------- Post added 16-09-2015 at 13:32 ----------

Cameron was straining at the leash at times...2 questions on mental health, 1 on housing. ...It was easy in the end for Cameron.

Corbyn seemed fairly comfortable too. But no follow up.

the "party" have also said corbyn will in future sing the national anthem at official events. it is all going terribly well for him so far. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Does this mean that all those who supported or excused his lack of singing are out of touch with Labour Party and mainstream thinking.

Does this mean that all those who supported or excused his lack of singing are out of touch with Labour Party and mainstream thinking.

Do you remember when cinemas played the NA at the end of the film?

I'm unfortunately old enough, there wasn't much concern about mainstream thinking then,if you didn't move a bit sharpish you risked getting caught in the crush. The main priority was getting the last pint before the pubs shut.

And I might add this was about twenty years after WW2 so there would be a lot of Ex servicemen there.

Do you remember when cinemas played the NA at the end of the film?

I'm unfortunately old enough, there wasn't much concern about mainstream thinking then,if you didn't move a bit sharpish you risked getting caught in the crush. The main priority was getting the last pint before the pubs shut.

And I might add this was about twenty years after WW2 so there would be a lot of Ex servicemen there.

Totally not the same thing.

But whatever - what's done is done. He needed criticism in my view but it doesn't need to go forever. I read the report of his debut on PMQs - seemed to do ok. Looked like two politicians having a debate rather than looking like that fight at the end of Bridget Jones with two posh boys thinking they're hard. A pleasant change.