The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

like northern rock, it was just another business that failed under a labour government. still the good thing is the public are aware that labour cannot be trusted with the economy and are anti business. corbyn more than any is reinforcing that public awareness. so it is increasingly unlikely we will have to endure a labour government for at least another decade.

following corbyn's first week in charge of labour, william hill shortened the odds on the tories winning an overall majority in 2020.

No it wasnt at all like Northern Rock. This was a young company tasked with looking after the nation's rail infrastructure. It was designed and floated by a Tory government and began to fail almost immediately. A basket case from the start, it could not attract sufficient private investment and increasingly went cap in hand to the state.

When people started dying ànd getting injured in avoidable accidents the public saw it for what it was. Labour's biggest mistake was not taking it back under state control sooner.

---------- Post added 19-09-2015 at 15:55 ----------

I do agree that the devil is in the detail but I'd prefer to work off known facts if you have some to hand. ;)

From memory the subsidy nationally is somethign like 2.5p per person per mile though I may have my decimal point in the wrong place in either direction :) That includes all this small local lines as well as the profitable inter city ones.

It is entirely possible that there is no subsidy involved and that HMG gets their £150m income from the franchise for the East Midlands line. If you're able to, I'd be pleased to know the actual situation though.

You could have found this yourself in 1 minute:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-2854244/East-Midlands-Trains-sees-profits-gathersteam-thanks-bigger-subsidy.html

They got £142m subsidy in 2013

railtrack?

Aka failtrack?

For how long should labour have thrown billions of taxpayers money into a company that was killing hundreds of passengers a year in rail accidents?

Do tell.

actually the safety record of railtrack was not much different from british rail in the decade that preceded it. there was one major crash that killed around 30 caused by a driver ignoring a red signal. before railtrack in 1988 there was a similar crash that killed 35 due to a signal failure. but that's not what you wanted to hear is it?

what you actually meant was there were never hundreds killed but you thought telling porkies was the best you could come up with.

Edited by drummonds

the tories can't believe their luck. labour appoint a no hoper union man as leader and just when you think it can't get any better he appoints a total donut who adds up on his fingers as chancellor. what are they going to do with all the empty seats on labour's side of the commons?

Yes, but think of the children! :rant:

:hihi:

John used this at least twice before I dozed off. Just watched the end of it. He's a proper 'yes' man. If they carry on apologising (because that's what the people want, of course!) for Labour mistakes, it's gonna be a few years of sorrys.

The appointment of Diane Abbott is the strangest decision. I could walk down the street and pick the first woman I see, and they will have more about them than her, if getting women into the cabinet is the aim.

Like I said, that is just the ancient history I found.

Have you anything to offer about subsidy for the new contract because I can't find any mention of any subsidy at all, just a £150 million payment TO the government.

Ancient history? It was last year!!

Are you arguing that EMT is going to have no subsidy AND pay an extra £150m?

Unfortunately we'll have to wait for the details about subsidy levels for 2014-15-16-17 but I know you won't be right.

---------- Post added 19-09-2015 at 16:20 ----------

actually the safety record of railtrack was not much different from british rail in the decade that preceded it. there was one major crash that killed around 30 caused by a driver ignoring a red signal. before railtrack in 1988 there was a similar crash that killed 35 due to a signal failure. but that's not what you wanted to hear is it?

But it has been much better since. Somehow Network Rail is getting it right. It's a successful nationalised company. Let's keep it that way.

[/color]

Ancient history? It was last year!!

Are you arguing that EMT is going to have no subsidy AND pay an extra £150m?

I'm arguing nothing, Im just awaiting some verification from you about a future subsidy.

You seem to be saying that they will pay £150m and get a subsidy. Which way is it? Subsidy or payment?

Edited by Eric Arthur

Yes, but think of the children! :rant:

:hihi:

John used this at least twice before I dozed off. Just watched the end of it. He's a proper 'yes' man. If they carry on apologising (because that's what the people want, of course!) for Labour mistakes, it's gonna be a few years of sorrys.

The appointment of Diane Abbott is the strangest decision. I could walk down the street and pick the first woman I see, and they will have more about them than her, if getting women into the cabinet is the aim.

do you think corbyn is on the payroll of the tory party. they would pay millions for someone to do this much damage to the labour party. all it seems to have cost so far is a few hundred folk at £3 each.