The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Passenger injuries and deaths are not the only measures of safety.

I agree that Corbyn will never get elected as PM. He's got 3 years max.

not if you are including death and injury at great heck in a discussion about track maintenance.

that's a shame about corbyn. i had wanted him to be there to lose the election, but i do have confidence in labour's ability to replace one no hoper with one equally bad or even worse.

---------- Post added 19-09-2015 at 19:25 ----------

So, for how long should Labour have continued to subsidise this fantastic example of private sector efficiency with £billions of taxpayers money a year?

if we are talking railtrack they still are, just like they were before the railways were privatised. around £2 billion/year in 1995. that's about £4 billion in todays money.

---------- Post added 19-09-2015 at 19:50 ----------

It could seem that way, but I doubt it. Even Cameron will soon get bored of an easy ride.

perhaps so but corbyn's first test is fast approaching. fortunately the tories look like preventing labour's rout in scotland turning into a national disaster.

http://www.ukelect.co.uk/HTML/forecasts/20150918ForecastSP.html?utm_source=UK-Elect+UK+Election+Forecasting+Newsletter&utm_campaign=ed534e3104-Forecast_Update11_26_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_184d71a20e-ed534e3104-205613241

Are you arguing that EMT won't receive subsidies?

That they will go from the subsidies detailed in here for 2014/15:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rail-subsidy-per-passenger-mile

To zero in 2015/16 and then pay the government tens of millions of pounds a year extra on top?

I'm not arguing anything. I genuinely don't know So I'm interested to learn but the only reports are that HMG receives £150m and there's not a single mention of any subsidy.

We have to conclude that there is no subsidy until something or somebody turns up to say that there is.

if we are talking railtrack they still are, just like they were before the railways were privatised. around £2 billion/year in 1995. that's about £4 billion in todays money.

The executive asked to come up with a plan to revive Network Rail's fortunes has said she cannot rule out recommending privatisation.

So the Tories are continuing on right wing policies, gives Labour or the Liberal Democrats more scope for different policies.

The executive asked to come up with a plan to revive Network Rail's fortunes has said she cannot rule out recommending privatisation.

So the Tories are continuing on right wing policies, gives Labour or the Liberal Democrats more scope for different policies.

but with corbyn in charge no chance of doing anything about it.

I'm not arguing anything. I genuinely don't know So I'm interested to learn but the only reports are that HMG receives £150m and there's not a single mention of any subsidy.

We have to conclude that there is no subsidy until something or somebody turns up to say that there is.

You can conclude that but you'd be wrong.

A company like EMT cannot just lose £142m of annual subsidy plus commit to paying an extra £150 over three years. How is a £200mm annual hole in the company finances going to be plugged?

Explain how you think that could happen.

You are ridiculous when you take a standpoint based on ignorance. It is your responsibility to learn not for others to educate you.

You are ridiculous when you take a standpoint based on ignorance. It is your responsibility to learn not for others to educate you.

You're going to hate this, ridiculously so, but look what I knew without needing to google it first. ;) Now off you pop, take responsibility to get yourself up to speed before you wade in and look a bit, err, ignorant.

From memory the subsidy nationally is somethign like 2.5p per person per mile though I may have my decimal point in the wrong place in either direction :) That includes all this small local lines as well as the profitable inter city ones.

Getting back to the grown ups,

A company like EMT cannot just lose £142m of annual subsidy plus commit to paying an extra £150 over three years. How is a £200mm annual hole in the company finances going to be plugged?

Let's be factual here, I'm not arguing for anything apart from the truth. Neither of us know what the situation is beyond the £150m fee and £13m additional investment by the franchisee. If there is some additional subsidy I'd be happy for it to be referenced.

Getting back on topic, what I would argue for is an incentivised, privatised, rail system that is subsidised as appropriate to ensure that the national infrastructure does what it needs to do. I don't see any need to return it back to the 1970s shambles of public sector ownership.

You're going to hate this, ridiculously so, but look what I knew without needing to google it first. ;) Now off you pop, take responsibility to get yourself up to speed before you wade in and look a bit, err, ignorant.

Getting back to the grown ups,

Let's be factual here, I'm not arguing for anything apart from the truth. Neither of us know what the situation is beyond the £150m fee and £13m additional investment by the franchisee. If there is some additional subsidy I'd be happy for it to be referenced.

Getting back on topic, what I would argue for is an incentivised, privatised, rail system that is subsidised as appropriate to ensure that the national infrastructure does what it needs to do. I don't see any need to return it back to the 1970s shambles of public sector ownership.

I've provided the details of the subsidy for 2014. I haven't got a crystal ball so I can't tell you exactly how much it will be for coming years but there is no way on this planet that EMT will be going from £142m of subsidy to nothing.

Publication dates for stats are here:

http://orr.gov.uk/statistics/release-schedule

You've headed up a bit of a blind alley here really because as I said before I'm not opposed to rail subsidy at all but would prefer there to be none. Short of waiting to see if something never happens, is there a mechanism for determining your hoped for subsidy?

You've headed up a bit of a blind alley here really because as I said before I'm not opposed to rail subsidy at all but would prefer there to be none. Short of waiting to see if something never happens, is there a mechanism for determining your hoped for subsidy?

I'm not hoping for it but it's a fact it will happen. The future scale of it is unknown because if EMT suffers greater than expected losses it can go cap in hand to the government for additional subsidy. Like it did in 2011 when it asked for £40m