The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

The shadow chancellor is reported to have said that he wants employees to have say how a company is run, now I was always an employee but I fail to understand as to how this would work as I am sure that I would not have someone who,s wages I pay telling me how to run my business.

I would however listen to suggestions of ways to improve things then decide if it was a viable suggestion

Well that's a good start.

OK. (You could always try watching the speech for yourself y'know, much better than getting it second hand.)

Roughly speaking:

He is anti- austerity, stating it to be a political choice and not the only way to tackle the deficit.

He wants to introduce a real living wage. Pledged to build more houses. Tackle the gender pay gap. Cut tax breaks for buy to let landlords. Clampdown on 'Corporate welfare.' Get firms to pay their fair share of tax by aggressively tackling tax avoidance and evasion (possibility of 120 Billion being recovered.)

Access to financial models used by Bank of England and Office of Budget Responsibility to help Labour formulate an alternative economic policy, and employ economic discourse to secure dynamic growth...

Before you pick holes in it (that's just part of it,) watch the whole thing for yourself. He explains it better than I can.

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 17:40 ----------

Actually, yes.

The half hearted Conservative joke that is supposed to have tackled tax evasion, while at the same time cutting tax officials, is just that. Just because they Tory's say they're going to do it, doesn't make it so. They tell lies.

The new guy means business.

As for unpopular cuts, don't worry, Corbyn is going to be making some too. It's just going to be coming out of the pockets of the seriously rich for a change, instead of the pockets of the poor.

How much tax do the top 10% contribute already, as a proportion?

Go back further - we have the 1970's and early 80's and the divisions were striking then between Left and Right.

So is there a long term cycle here? Who knows? But thoughts are welcome.

Isnt that what the Tories want to do; say that Labour and Corbyn of 2015 are the same as those from yester-year.

They are not the same, if they are, then the Tories working for the rich is alive and well in 2015.

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 18:14 ----------

I thought it was rather a good speech.

We will have a different Labour Party from what we have seen for a few years which was very similar to the Conservatives.

They appear to be challenging the previously unchallengeable.

The Tories are generally better at speeches, partly because the press are more Tory, that is why Blair did so well, the press was on his side.

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 18:15 ----------

I've just seen a woman interviewed by Andrew Neill after the shadow chancellors speech. I think she was the shadow secretary to the Treasury. She kept saying " our policies are quite clear " then couldn't answer any of his questions on policy, about as clear as mud.

Perhaps that's her policy," don't tell them anything, then I can't be wrong."

Just like the Tories BEFORE they got into power in 2010

oh dear oh dear. are you still banging that drum?

you come across like a guy who turns up at a motorway pile up and blames the ambulance crew for the casualties and the clear up teams for the time it is taking the remove the damaged vehicles.

the driver that caused the pile up is to blame. the pile up of our economy happened whilst labour were at the wheel. they overspent when times were good and there were no brakes when they needed them. that's why labour aren't trusted with the economy.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/13/andy-burnham-apologises-labour-overspending

repeated denials only makes it worse, and your repeated pushing of the same failed line that cost labour the election makes the hole deeper. all good. that and the nutter that you've just elected to lead the party into oblivion should keep them out of power for a generation.:thumbsup:

here's a nice bit of telly that will roll and roll. it is almost as good as brown saying " an end to boom and bust"

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/04/milibands-refusal-to-admit-that-labour-overspent-could-cost-him-dear/

First of all I don't support Labour. I never voted in their election. I don't expect Corbyn to last three years at the outside, nor do I want him to.

What I want is a re-framing of our political discussion in this country. I think Corbyn can deliver that at least.

As part of that discussion we need to acknowledge and understand the real causes of why we entered economic crisis, and why we have failed since. Unfortunately your little collection of tired sound bites (backed by Coalition lies) that were designed to get the last government through the first couple of years doesn't cut it.

Osborne has doubled the debt. That is the truth.

He failed to control the deficit. Again the truth.

The deficit in 2010 wasn't caused by spending committments. Again the truth.

Our economy is still deliberately pumped up by consumer debt. Again the truth.

etc... etc... etc...

If you don't truly understand what went wrong then you can't fix it. Hiding behind sound bites doesn't help anyone.

I honestly don't care which party fixes things as long as they do.

I'll chop two bits out for this point

Pledged to build more houses.

Cut tax breaks for buy to let landlords.

He's going to do that while introducing rent control.

Do you see the problem?

It's just going to be coming out of the pockets of the seriously rich for a change, instead of the pockets of the poor.

Roughly,

About 40% of us, the poor, don't pay direct tax, they receive it.

About 10% of us, the merely well off, pay about 40% of taxes.

About 1% of us, the sriously rich, pay about 30% of taxes.

Somebody else can check the exact figures but you'll get the point to not scare off the seriously rich, or even the moderately well off. Corbyn's doing both to gain the support of those who don't contribute so much.

How much tax do the top 10% contribute already, as a proportion?

I'm sure you'll have the figures to hand. If they pay a lot of tax it's because they literally earn a fortune, and many, many times the average wage.

If you are lucky enough to earn mega bucks then you should thank your lucky stars and be prepared to pay what you owe.

---------- Post added 28-09-2015 at 19:37 ----------

I saw the guy on Question Time the other week. Seems like a really shady character who will say anything to anyone to further his own agenda. Wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

I also saw him on question time and thought he came across as sincere and honest. Perceptions, eh...?