The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Have we really become so used to politicians having every word they speak doctored and censored by lackies to the point of pc blandness, that anyone who says anything even mildly controversial, even if it is only a point being put forward for discussion, is singled out as some sort of terrible left wing anarchist by the right wing press?

What happens when any right wing politician dares to say something controversial?

taxman can have as many words as he likes. it doesn't alter the regulations. perhaps you should check them.
If you 'ship' thousands from China into the UK, presumably you are trading?

In which case, yes please, let me know what those 'regulations' are, I am interested in checking them. Particularly about how they make CCPs and CCEPs irrelevant :)

If you 'ship' thousands from China into the UK, presumably you are trading?

In which case, yes please, let me know what those 'regulations' are, I am interested in checking them. Particularly about how they make CCPs and CCEPs irrelevant :)

indeed i was trading. but there is no import duty or vat payable on packages under the value of £15. if you ship 5000 of them there still is no duty or vat payable. i'm sure that if you are that bothered you can consult your taxman friend about it.

Another massive own goal by the genius Corbyn today. Saying he would never use trident even if necessary means that on the one hand he has completely undermined our national security should the unthinkable happen and he is PM in 2020, and on the other hand he has undermined his own shadow cabinet who were supposed to be having a policy review but that has now been rendered pointless. His own shadow Defence Secretary has spoken out against him.

How long until resignations start landing on his desk? He's a joke. It wouldn't be a problem if he was leader of the Green Party but leader of the opposition... dangerous.

To be fair he was never going to get the party onside with his trident views.

I'm an ardent supporter of disarming our capability but realistic enough to know it is not going to happen Corbyn-style. Pragmatism tells me there is nothing that can be done to prevent renewal of the system in 2016 as the government has a majority, and if needed enough willing Labour MPs to carry a future vote (say after 2020) against scrapping the system.

The longer game IMO is making sure we never renew our capability after that, 10 or 20 years down the line or whenever the next decision is made.

There's really no point in Corbyn making too much of this. We know his views but he isn't going to change things.

Mmm, I think on this occasion his honesty might be misplaced. Bluff and counter bluff is part of the defence strategy. Skipping to the bottom line and admitting he would never press the button has undermined our current defences. But the current M.A.D. strategy is all rather ridiculous anyway.

Looking on the bright side, maybe it will trigger other countries to unilaterally disarm. Maybe we are at last past the 'mutually assured destruction' stage. Countries might not have used the bomb, (nor ever would,) but wars are still all too common. Maybe that's where the focus should be. The nuclear button is a distraction.

At the very least it will generate serious debate.

Edited by Anna B