The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

The Labour party will get rid of Corbyn. (By Easter)

sadly you are probably right. he is alienating folk too fast to stay full term. hopefully the leftie loons will cause a party split when it happens. i see history repeating itself with an sdp and trotskyite parties emerging from all this.

Unless he resigns, or is assassinated by an even more left-wing fanatic, it is difficult to see how he can go. No-one has a hope of beating him in an election in the foreseeable future.

Unless he resigns, or is assassinated by an even more left-wing fanatic, it is difficult to see how he can go. No-one has a hope of beating him in an election in the foreseeable future.

That will change if his polling stays bad.

I'm sorry I missed this bit, the question about our relationship with the USA regarding nuclear deterrence.

I don't think that it's the right question in the context, the question that should be asked is - if we relied upon America for our nuclear deterrent, would they be willing to lose one of their major cities and then risk nuclear escalation, to strike back if just Birmingham was destroyed?

Our ownership of a nuclear deterrent makes this question irrelevant.

In what circumstances can you envisage a nuclear strike by a foreign enemy strong enough to destroy a single UK city?

To be honest that is very contrived scenario and extremely unlikely. The risk is so tiny that a £30bn weapons system to protect against it can't be justified.

He's already wanting to sign away the rights of a large number of people who desperatly want to remain British and not Argentinian.... I can easily see him removing us from NATO.

He's a dangerous idealistic fool who has no idea of the real world.

---------- Post added 01-10-2015 at 17:12 ----------

I think you mean fissile, not fissionable. U238 can undergo fission from fast neutrons, but it cannot support a chain reaction.

It's biggest risk however is it's chemical toxicity, and it's pyrophoric nature. Most people dont realise how widespread it is - your average jumbo jet has hundreds of kilos of it on board to act as counterbalance weights for the control surfaces...

sadly you are probably right. he is alienating folk too fast to stay full term. hopefully the leftie loons will cause a party split when it happens. i see history repeating itself with an sdp and trotskyite parties emerging from all this.

I think Jeremy Corbyn does understand 'the real world' - He's represented an area that is historically is deprived and ethnically diverse. He certainly seems to have a better grasp of the real world than some MPs whose constituencies are more affluent.

With regards to his alienating people - he maybe alienating those on the extreme right of the party, but the surge in popularity in terms of political meetings he's held leading up to his election suggests he's drawing more people in to Labour than alienating them.

In what circumstances can you envisage a nuclear strike by a foreign enemy strong enough to destroy a single UK city?

To be honest that is very contrived scenario and extremely unlikely. The risk is so tiny that a £30bn weapons system to protect against it can't be justified.

As I said earlier when I say destroyed, I don't mean the whole city is left in rubble. You don't have to do that to destroy a city, a city is a lot more than just bricks and mortar.

I think Jeremy Corbyn does understand 'the real world' - He's represented an area that is historically is deprived and ethnically diverse. He certainly seems to have a better grasp of the real world than some MPs whose constituencies are more affluent.

With regards to his alienating people - he maybe alienating those on the extreme right of the party, but the surge in popularity in terms of political meetings he's held leading up to his election suggests he's drawing more people in to Labour than alienating them.

Oh come on, I hardly think anyone in the Labour party can be described as "extreme right". I don't think anyone in the Conservatives really fits that description either. Wanting to retain a nuclear deterrent is not "extreme right".

As I said earlier when I say destroyed, I don't mean the whole city is left in rubble. You don't have to do that to destroy a city, a city is a lot more than just bricks and mortar.

do we know if sheffield's labour mps agree with their party leader on this or whether they agree with the majority of labour mps in westminster? i expect the council will have a different opinion from the mps. the snp, plaid and ukip are rubbing their hands in glee.

---------- Post added 01-10-2015 at 20:08 ----------

Wanting to retain a nuclear deterrent is not "extreme right".

it was a policy on which labour mps went to the polls in may.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32501532

there's rather a lot of labour mps in the commons who went to the polls on that ticket.

Edited by drummonds

do we know if sheffield's labour mps agree with their party leader on this or whether they agree with the majority of labour mps in westminster? i expect the council will have a different opinion from the mps. the snp, plaid and ukip are rubbing their hands in glee

From what I've read about the criticism over his comments, his front bench doesn't even agree with him. Denis Healey is quoted as saying that as defence minister, if he was left as the head of government, he wouldn't have authorised an attack, but he chose to keep that to himself.

Edited by JFKvsNixon