The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Going to be interesting

The law Osborne is trying to introduce is ridiculous though. Running a permanent surplus means that the surplus has to come from somewhere.

Boys and girls that surplus will come from you and me. We will be asked to pay more in tax than the government spends. Any Tory voter who has seriously thought that through should be seriously unhappy.

The law will be a straightjacket. A commitment to balance the books would be far more credible.

I think you need to go back and read again. The government only needs to run a surplus if the economy is growing at 1%/year or more. So effectively it only needs to put aside money if it can. So if the economy is in a recession, the government can spend if required. Their hands are not as tied as it seems.

i was taking a look at the latest opinion polls to see how the corbyn effect and new leader bounce was panning out. it seems labour have lost further ground to ukip, tories and snp.

i was wondering if the labour party would take the opportunity of being trounced in the hollyrood elections in may to ditch corbyn and mcdonald or whether they would wait until they are trounced in the general election in 2020 before admitting they appointed another limp willie.

I think you need to go back and read again. The government only needs to run a surplus if the economy is growing at 1%/year or more. So effectively it only needs to put aside money if it can. So if the economy is in a recession, the government can spend if required. Their hands are not as tied as it seems.

I understand that. Completely.

The point I am making still stands. Try getting people to pay more tax than they should. Just try it.

This is where the schizophrenic nature of the policy comes into play. The Tories will expect the electorate to vote them in based on a policy that requires taxpayers to pay more in tax than the government plans to spend. The Tories are asking their core vote which is naturally pro-tax avoidance to not avoid their taxes, in order to pay debt much of which was amassed by Gordon Brown and Osborne who himself is not well liked by many on the right of his party.

Keynesian deficit/surplus cycle enshrined in law by a Tory chancellor?? It's a childish political gimmick. You just could not make it up.

It's pie in the sky. Can't believe people are falling for it.

Edited by I1L2T3

Or "puerile trap" as McDonnell put it - before drawing attention to the government's U-turn on Saudi prisons deal, after (entirely coincidentally no doubt) Corbyn brought it up at conference.

that must be why labour mps say their party now has no economic credibility left.

McDonnell called it a puerile trap, and Corbyn highlighted Saudi human rights abuses and the prisons contract - and those two factors are "why Labour MPs say their party now has no economic credibility"?

I'll be amused to hear your reasoning behind this, assuming there is any (I have my doubts).

McDonnell called it a puerile trap, and Corbyn highlighted Saudi human rights abuses and the prisons contract - and those two factors are "why Labour MPs say their party now has no economic credibility"?

I'll be amused to hear your reasoning behind this, assuming there is any (I have my doubts).

according to the polls labour had no economic credibility before this blew up. they have now put the issue totally beyond doubt. it is good of you to give me the chance to bring it to the fore again.

you should hear what nicola sturgeon says about labour's economic credibility. you could post it on here. i'm off out but i could do it for you tomorrow if you ask nicely.

Edited by drummonds

...the world of zero hour contracts, agency jobs, pitiful wages, no job security and impossibly high house prices.

But Labour aren't willing to do anything about mass immigration which is the root cause of all those problems.

No it isn't.

yes it is.

Open your eyes, of course it is.

Really, you think mass immigration is the root cause of all those things listed?

You absolute morons, that is monumentally stupid.

according to the polls labour had no economic credibility before this blew up. they have now put the issue totally beyond doubt. it is good of you to give me the chance to bring it to the fore again.

you should hear what nicola sturgeon says about labour's economic credibility. you could post it on here. i'm off out but i could do it for you tomorrow if you ask nicely.

I'm not disputing Labour's lack of credibility, economic or otherwise. I'm merely drawing attention to your lack of reasoning.

I'm not disputing Labour's lack of credibility, economic or otherwise. I'm merely drawing attention to your lack of reasoning.

i link to polls where the majority of the population doubt labour's economic credibility. you agree they have no credibility. i agree they have no credibility. the recent about face on the deficit destroys their credibility. labour mps do tv and newspaper interviews saying they lack economic credibility.

what would be a reasoned conclusion to draw in your opinion?

---------- Post added 18-10-2015 at 10:55 ----------

Really, you think mass immigration is the root cause of all those things listed?

You absolute morons, that is monumentally stupid.

actually posting at vodka o'clock like you did is monumentally stupid. particularly as you mucked up folk's posts and included diametrically opposite views. that indicates that it is you who is the absolute moron, and monumentally stupid to boot.