The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Okay so how do the Labour Party become electable?

---------- Post added 06-01-2016 at 21:18 ----------

I don't understand what you are saying. Mrs Thatcher became Conservative Party leader in 75, and was elected in 79, and booted out in 90.

Get rid of corbyn for a start, produce a credible electable manifesto etc etc.

It will be a long road but at the moment labour are running the wrong way down that very long road.

Get rid of corbyn for a start, produce a credible electable manifesto etc etc.

It will be a long road but at the moment labour are running the wrong way down that very long road.

I'm not a Labour Party member / supporter, though I like the way he conducts PMs Question Time. I hate the way that the media traduce everything he says and sneer at him.

With regards to a credible electable manifesto we're over 4 years away from a general election. A bit premature for a political party to produce one, I would've thought.

If your saying did I disagree with everything she did, no I didn't.

Even you can find a consensus with Thatcher of all people and you're quite right to take a grown up view rather than an opposing view for the sake of it.

The point being made is that there should be some things that remain constants whatever the government of the day. Let them tinker with details of implmentation but leave the basics alone if it's the right thing.

This is the basic problem with Corbyn, he wants to change everything that doesn't fit with his personal view of the world, even if most people are happy with things the way they are. He's basically a spoiled brat.

Even you can find a consensus with Thatcher of all people and you're quite right to take a grown up view rather than an opposing view for the sake of it.

The point being made is that there should be some things that remain constants whatever the government of the day. Let them tinker with details of implmentation but leave the basics alone if it's the right thing.

This is the basic problem with Corbyn, he wants to change everything that doesn't fit with his personal view of the world, even if most people are happy with things the way they are. He's basically a spoiled brat.

Thank you for crystalising my point. This is what I mean.

'Even I' :confused:

But then I'm sure that Jeremy Corbyn agrees with Mrs Thatcher on a number of things, just like she agreed with her Labour predecessor, James Callaghan on a number of things.

As far as I understand, the Labour Party being HM Opposition, should oppose, that's their role. Mrs Thatcher would've agreed. She was a great believer is debating ideas & thoughts.

With regards to 'let things remain constant', what things? The Royal Family, Spending on Education....etc. Although Mrs T herself was a Conservative (who are interested in conserving things), she hated the idea of things remaining constant - in fact she argued with the 'wets' in her party that wanting things to remain constant - she called them Quislings. A terrific book, by one such wet, Sir Ian Gilmour, her Foreign or Defence Secretary is 'Dancing With Dogma' on his assessment of Thatcherism.

People on her own side called Mrs Thatcher a spoiled brat (and worse), for getting her knickers in a twist over a number of issues (see the aforementioned book).

Most of us would prefer it if HM Opposition had intelligent and thought out workable alternatives instead of yah boo sucks style opposition for the sake of it.

Even you ;):)

Well why don't you write him with some of your suggestions. I'm sure he'd be delighted to hear from you ;)