The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

It would be interesting to know the reason for the reduced majority. Not liking Cameron's replacement perhaps? Or "punishment" to the Tories for Cameron quitting so soon. Or maybe just a rise in the LibDems?
Perhaps punishment for the government's current Brexit policies.

Witney is in Oxfordshire, which voted overwhelmingly to remain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37724756

The Conservatives have won the Witney by-election, holding David Cameron's former seat - albeit with a greatly reduced majority.

The Labour party has dropped from second to third place in the constituency, polling 15% of the vote, not very good at all, as they are meant to be hyped up for a general election.

I presume from what you are saying then the vote for the allegedly reviled Corbyn party collapsed from its previous position did it? From what I read into it it's an awful result for if you would believe the BBC the hugely popular Mother Teresa.

I presume from what you are saying then the vote for the allegedly reviled Corbyn party collapsed from its previous position did it? From what I read into it it's an awful result for if you would believe the BBC the hugely popular Mother Teresa.

Not been as low in over 30 years, Labour - Duncan Enright - 5,765 votes

---------- Post added 21-10-2016 at 11:27 ----------

It would be interesting to know the reason for the reduced majority. Not liking Cameron's replacement perhaps? Or "punishment" to the Tories for Cameron quitting so soon. Or maybe just a rise in the LibDems?

All of those?

Edited by El Cid

So in a seat that Labour would be very unlikely to win lost votes to the lib Dems who were the only party likely to unseat the tories that proves what exactly? Other than the tories aren't as popular as they MSM claim.This result says nothing of the support of the Labour party only about the startling colapse of the tory vote in its heartland.

It was always going to be a Tory win, though the big shrinking of the majority is interesting but then there were 20,000 less people who voted than in the 2015 GE.

I was amused at the Batley and Spen by election though; the English Independence candidate was named as 'Corbyn Anti'.

Not been as low in over 30 years, Labour - Duncan Enright - 5,765 votes

---------- Post added 21-10-2016 at 11:27 ----------

All of those?

I would imagine replacing the Prime Minister with an unknown would account for a good deal of any drop. I doubt that it will concern the government too much as the opinion polls seem to be showing them with an absolutely massive lead.

This must be very worrying for Labour as they failed to pick up any of the votes the Conservative Party lost, and lost rather a lot themselves besides.

I would imagine votes are generally higher when your MP is the Prime Minister. David Cameron won the seat in 2001 with 45%.

I also think it is possible that it is message from some of the Conservative voters who voted to remain. The Lib Dems ran a campaign saying to vote for them to send a message to the government that they are not happy with a hard Brexit.

It is not true that the vote says nothing about the support for Labour (which some are claiming). Labour were never going to win the seat, but gathering just 15% of the vote as a percentage has not been seen since the early 80s, and so surely must be worrying.