The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Another common sense policy idea is to increase the council tax on second homes through an annual tax, which could raise £560 million per year and be used to tackle homelessness.

It would only apply to second homes primarily used as holiday houses, and would not include homes that are rented or used for employment, or static caravans.

I have a second home that i am paying for but do not use, do i pay this additional fee?

I have a second home that i am paying for but do not use, do i pay this additional fee?

I'm intrigued.

Why do you have a second home that you do not use? Wouldn't you be better off renting it out, or selling it to someone who can use it? There is a housing shortage supposedly.

Please don't take this as a criticism, I really don't mean it as such.

It works well for John Lewis and other forward thinking companies, and it seems to work well in Scandinavian countries.I am sure there will be rules that apply (like size of company etc) that will exclude those where it's not appropriate.

I think there is too much 'us and them' in the British workplace, a hangover from Victorian times perhaps. We need to move on and consider new innovations that improve performance. We also have problems with productivity which require a team effort and incentives. The workers are the heart of a company, their contribution should be valued.

Anything that gets everyone working on the same page would seem like a good idea to me.

John Lewis is not exactly doing well at the moment is it?

The rules are

More than 250 employees

UK based

And thats it i think looking at the literature available on it.

The "them and us "culture has been largely vanquished as the more "traditional" workplaces have gone. Todays employers have to be a lot more friendly in terms of well being and approach to their workers.

I dont get this "workers at the heart of the company" line. Everyone who works at a company is a worker be it the cleaner on the shop floor through to a MD of a multi-national company are they not?

---------- Post added 24-09-2018 at 14:29 ----------

I'm intrigued.

Why do you have a second home that you do not use? Wouldn't you be better off renting it out, or selling it to someone who can use it? There is a housing shortage supposedly.

Please don't take this as a criticism, I really don't mean it as such.

Not taken as one but read it again, i have a second home that i am paying for that i do not use. Under these proposals will i be paying the additional fee

John Lewis is not exactly doing well at the moment is it?

The rules are

More than 250 employees

UK based

And thats it i think looking at the literature available on it.

The "them and us "culture has been largely vanquished as the more "traditional" workplaces have gone. Todays employers have to be a lot more friendly in terms of well being and approach to their workers.

I dont get this "workers at the heart of the company" line. Everyone who works at a company is a worker be it the cleaner on the shop floor through to a MD of a multi-national company are they not?

---------- Post added 24-09-2018 at 14:29 ----------

Not taken as one but read it again, i have a second home that i am paying for that i do not use. Under these proposals will i be paying the additional fee

Retail in general is not doing well at the moment.

Some traditional workplaces have gone, but those taking their place are not all 'friendly and concerned with employees wellbeing,' Far from it when you think of places like Uber, Sports Direct, etc.

Yes all the people in a company are workers, but not all workers are created equal are they? Or regarded with equal respect. IMO, not all get the rewards consumate with their contribution. Sharing profits via a dividend simply goes some way to redressing this.

Oh dear. Isn't this the same Dawn Butler who accused Costa Coffee of not paying tax, and also accused Jamie Oliver of Cultural appropriation?

Dawn Butler causes Militant controversy during tribute at Labour Party conference

https://news.sky.com/story/dawn-butler-causes-militant-controversy-during-tribute-at-labour-party-conference-11506084

Personally I think it's disgraceful that anybody has more than one home, whether they use it or not. Such surplus properties should be seized by the state and put to better use than their owners could ever imagine.

This is not Labour party policy, I'm sorry to say.

Even if it's a beach hut, if it happens to be on the council tax register as a second home you will be regarded as one of the moneyed class so it's a certainty you'll get clobbered.

---------- Post added 24-09-2018 at 15:59 ----------

Personally I think it's disgraceful that anybody has more than one home, whether they use it or not. Such surplus properties should be seized by the state and put to better use than their owners could ever imagine.

Yes, more like North Korea or Cuba, but it could change.

good for you to hold that opinion. Im sure my ex wife who lives in the house im still the owner of and paying for would love to be evicted due to your thoughts.