The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

2 hours ago, apelike said:

If Corbyn forces a GE it will make Brexit harder to resolve and not easier as Parliament will get suspended 25 working days before its held and in that time nothing can be resolved but the clock still ticks. 

The correct thing to do would be to ask for/tell them we will have a 6-12 month extension on Article 50 before dissolving Parliament, otherwise we'll just crash out of the EU in March with no actual Government in control of the country because it will have been dissolved for a vote.

Now that would be total chaos.

Edited by geared

6 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

How the devil can an election solve Brexit? Even after an election we would still be back to the Brexit hold up. Labour just can't  wait to get their hands in the till.

5 hours ago, geared said:

because the Aspect that he sees as most important is him being the PM.

Nothing else matters.

A politician and leader of HM Opposition who wants to be Prime Minister. Well fancy that!

Edited by Mister M

But that's all he's doing, politicking for the sole reason to get into the top job and sod the consequences. He's not offering alternatives, showing leadership - anything that makes me think he should get into number 10. He probably will do next time out but given the state of the country the Tories have put us in, I'd have hoped for much more.

And what's more, he made me agree with Michael Gove. I can't have enough showers to get rid of that!

Praise where praise is due.  I posted this on the Brexit thread but it will disappear in no time. Plus I don't think anyone reads what anyone else is saying on there.

Lammy: There is no left-wing justification for Labour to back Brexit

David Lammy has said that there is “no left-wing justification for Brexit” as he dismissed calls from colleagues to “appease” Labour voters in industrial towns.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/jeremy-corbyn-and-labour-should-not-back-brexit-says-david-lammy-1-5847370

Why isn't Corbyn saying this though?

To be fair Labour haven't really given a toss about people in Industrial towns for donkeys years, so I don't know why they suddenly should start caring now?

Places like Rotherham and Barnsley will vote Red no matter what they do, there is really no incentive to try and please these people, because they won't do anything about it anyway.

Give em the short end of the stick, they're happen enough with that.

Edited by geared

37 minutes ago, geared said:

To be fair Labour haven't really given a toss about people in Industrial towns for donkeys years, so I don't know why they suddenly should start caring now?

Places like Rotherham and Barnsley will vote Red no matter what they do, there is really no incentive to try and please these people, because they won't do anything about it anyway.

Well you say that, but that vote is being whittled away. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/08/the-way-the-eu-treated-the-uk-opened-my-eyes-bolsovers-brexit

But you're right with the rest of it.

2 hours ago, geared said:

With regards to the Brexit issue I think politicians of all parties have expressed concern about going against the expressed wishes of the people in a referendum. Even though that referendum was advisory. On many current affairs and news programmes, guests have expressed concern that there would be civil unrest if politicians did not enact the will of the people.

On the second point you raise, yes Rotherham and Barnsley have voted Labour for many a year, but Buckingham and Christchurch have voted Tory since year dot - are you saying you could stick a blue rosette on a donkey and the voters of those constituencies would vote for it?

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Rotherham and Barnsley have voted Labour for many a year, but Buckingham and Christchurch have voted Tory since year dot - are you saying you could stick a blue rosette on a donkey and the voters of those constituencies would vote for it?

err yes??

4 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Well you say that, but that vote is being whittled away. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/08/the-way-the-eu-treated-the-uk-opened-my-eyes-bolsovers-brexit

But you're right with the rest of it.

Considering Barnsleys Labour MP was jailed for expenses fraud and they still saw fit to re-elect the next Labour candidate that blundered along I think the seats remain safe.

but I do like that article as it quite neatly demonstrates several of the Brexit issues all in one little town.

Edited by geared