The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Amazing, first sitting MP to be jailed in 28 years.

The last one was Terry Fields: A former hard-left Labour MP and who was expelled from Labour in 1991 during a purge of the Militant Tendency. He was jailed in July 1991 for refusing to pay his poll tax bill of £373.

There's quite a few Labour ones in the list on this link:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/29/fiona-onasanya-becomes-first-sitting-mp-jailed-almost-30-years/?fbclid=IwAR0dOatf3mJDbYK6A78j9kljLWcQ771K3pvgsfU0IV4pMc35f2E56sMIZJo

This one is my favourite:

John Stonehouse:  A former Labour MP who attracted international attention when he attempted to fake his own death in Miami in 1974. It was later discovered that he had travelled to Australia to start a new life with his mistress.

Edited by alchresearch

On 26/01/2019 at 18:51, banjodeano said:

How can i defend her views on anything? what does that even mean?  so if i dont agree with her on one thing, i shouldn't agree with her on anything?

i defend her right to be treated fairly by the BBC, i defend her right to be on a show and not bullied by the chair person that is supposed to be impartial.

She is not as bad as the media portray her to be, of course she makes the odd stupid remark, and she never comes across well, but other politicians dont get pulled up half as much when they make gaffs.

incidentally she gets elected time and time again, obviously her constituents must not think she is as dumb as you do

To be honest ive never heard her say anything constructive, she just repeats the party scripted line repetitively, either  on interviews, QT or This Week, on the latter i was amazed how long she lasted on the show. It when she tries to go off script or answer a random question, than she drops a blunder.

Edited by phil752

27 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Amazing, first sitting MP to be jailed in 28 years.

The last one was Terry Fields: A former hard-left Labour MP and who was expelled from Labour in 1991 during a purge of the Militant Tendency. He was jailed in July 1991 for refusing to pay his poll tax bill of £373.

There's quite a few Labour ones in the list on this link:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/29/fiona-onasanya-becomes-first-sitting-mp-jailed-almost-30-years/?fbclid=IwAR0dOatf3mJDbYK6A78j9kljLWcQ771K3pvgsfU0IV4pMc35f2E56sMIZJo

This one is my favourite:

Interesting link

Jailed politicians | The MPs sentenced to prison terms

Chris Huhne: A former Lib Dem Cabinet minister who was jailed for eight months in March 2013  for points swapping in order to avoid a driving ban. He resigned from Cabinet before the trial started.

Elliott Morley: An ex Labour MP who was jailed for 16 months in May 2011 after he was found to have fraudulently claimed £32,000 in of parliamentary expenses relating to mortgage payments. He was one of four MPs jailed in the wake of the expenses scandal.

David Chaytor: Former Labour MP jailed for 18 months in January 2011 on charges of false accounting relating to £18,000 worth of parliamentary expenses.

Eric Illsley: Former Labour MP who was jailed in February 2011 for 12 months for fraudulently claiming £14,000 on a second home and council tax and utility bills.

Jim Devine: Former Labour MP found guilty of dishonestly claiming £8,385 for cleaning, maintenance and printing work. He was jailed in March 2011 for 16 months.

Denis MacShane: A former Labour minister jailed for six months in December 2013 for submitting fake expenses receipts amounting to £12,900.

Jonathan Aitken: A former Tory MP who in 1999 was sentenced to 18 months in prison for perjury and perverting the course of justice.

Terry Fields: A former hard-left Labour MP and who was expelled from Labour in 1991 during a purge of the Militant Tendency. He was jailed in July 1991 for refusing to pay his poll tax bill of £373.

John Stonehouse: A former Labour MP who attracted international attention when he attempted to fake his own death in Miami in 1974. It was later discovered that he had travelled to Australia to start a new life with his mistress.Two years later he was convicted and sentenced to seven years in prison for 21 charges of theft, forgery and conspiracy to defraud, causing a false police investigation and wasting police time.

Finally something that the Labour party is good at...

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Labour are to support Yvette Cooper's amendment. Hopefully the UK will get more breathing room to get a more sensible Brexit.

I wish Yvette Cooper was the Labour leader.

I thought the debate was supposed to be about saying what MPs DO want. This is just extend A50. It isn't a tangible policy request, just ' let's spend longer, and just kick the deadline down the road' .

12 minutes ago, woodview said:

I thought the debate was supposed to be about saying what MPs DO want. This is just extend A50. It isn't a tangible policy request, just ' let's spend longer, and just kick the deadline down the road' .

After the past two years mayhem are you seriously suggesting that this will be resolved in the next two months?

1 minute ago, Top Cats Hat said:

After the past two years mayhem are you seriously suggesting that this will be resolved in the next two months?

Possibly, yes, it might be resolved by other amendments, that show a majority of support for in Parliament. At least they had the gumption to make tangible suggestions.

What amendments were tabled that had an actual proposal?

1 hour ago, phil752 said:

To be honest ive never heard her say anything constructive, she just repeats the party scripted line repetitively, either  on interviews, QT or This Week, on the latter i was amazed how long she lasted on the show. It when she tries to go off script or answer a random question, than she drops a blunder.

It's a shame because I remember her from the 1990s and she was one of the most formidable politicians in the HoC, she had a lightening quick mind, and her knowledge of her brief was huge.

I just wonder if the constant rape and death threats have wore her down and she is on some heavy dury medication that has slowed her cognitive speed.