The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

8 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Corbyn's latest zany scheme which is currently being laughed at by everyone:

Labour pledges free broadband for all

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50427369

"Following Labour's announcement, BT's share price initially fell by 3% before recovering slightly."

Great work, Labour.

They probably also laughed at the idea of giving free health care to everyone after the war when the country was bankrupt as well, but you know what our health system is the envy of the world..

Corbyn announces free wifi and the country goes into meltdown and is called a communist, calm down folks

27 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

They probably also laughed at the idea of giving free health care to everyone after the war when the country was bankrupt as well, but you know what our health system is the envy of the world..

Corbyn announces free wifi and the country goes into meltdown and is called a communist, calm down folks

I visited a relative in hospital a few months ago and there was free fibre broadband as well. It's clearly a communist plot.

Edited by Mister Gee

6 hours ago, convert said:

So Labour promise yet more 'free' stuff.

What a great idea. Corbyn can't control the free press, which is moving more and more online, so he decides to provide 'free' broadband.

Not even looking at the actual cost to the taxpayer, the monopoly it would create, the jobs that would be lost at Sky, Talk Talk, etc.

The Government would control the internet provision to most homes. Who's going to pay for it if Labour provide it for free.

How much censorship would their be over the state controlled internet?

Big brother really would be watching.

If nothing else convinces you to not vote Labour, this should.

Don't forget it won't be owned by Labour it will be owned by the taxpayers and the government which will continue to change on a regular   basis. Therefore there would be no point in biased censorship. 

8 hours ago, alchresearch said:

My basic Sky (BT line) broadband is £19 per month.  If Labour win and my state owned and controlled broadband (sounds like China) is now free, I'll happily give that £19 to a more deserving place, like the NHS for example.

I’ve noticed that £19 doesn’t cover evenings or weekends?

1 hour ago, banjodeano said:

No they didn't. A national health service was in the 1945 Tory and Liberal manifestos, as well as Labour. It wasn't some scheme invented by the Labour Party. 

Labour is simply returning part of BT to public ownership and looking after our infrastructure, something which private companies often fail to do if there's no profit in it. It means there will be consistant cover across the country including places that don't have it at the moment. I understand we are bottom of the league table at the moment for the reliable roll out of fast broadband which is holding productivity and  business back. Labour are trying to rectify that and move us forward.

16 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Labour is simply returning part of BT to public ownership and looking after our infrastructure, something which private companies often fail to do if there's no profit in it. It means there will be consistant cover across the country including places that don't have it at the moment. I understand we are bottom of the league table at the moment for the reliable roll out of fast broadband which is holding productivity and  business back. Labour are trying to rectify that and move us forward.

Because it was wonderful when BT was in public ownership wasn't it!!!

Have Labour explained how they are paying for this? 

17 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

At this stage of the game no party fully explains how they will fund all of their promises.

Just as the Conservatives blithely promise all things to all men,whilst hiding the true impact of their Brexit Deal or the  still mooted No Deal.

To be honest they are equally incapable of true costings for any scheme which invariably run well over budget.

Edited by RJRB

14 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

They are taxing the big corporations like Amazon I believe.

BT wasn't perfect, but I believe it's only right that we keep a hold of at least part of our infrastructure. 

11 minutes ago, Anna B said:

They are taxing the big corporations like Amazon I believe.

BT wasn't perfect, but I believe it's only right that we keep a hold of at least part of our infrastructure. 

That will be nowhere near enough to pay for it. 

Labour claim that they would get £230m annually from increasing the tax on the like of Google and Amazon.

Openreach employs 32,000 people, (and Labour have guaranteed no job losses). It has an annual wage bill of £800m. Other operating costs take it to £2billion annually. Openreach also has an annual maintenance bill of between £1billion and £2billion. The rollout of fibre across the country is costing Openreach £35billion....

£230m a year isn't going to cut it!