The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Message added by Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

21 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

Good in principle but no one wants to do apprenticeships in construction, its hard work for not enough reward, a crisis is looming if its not addressed.

Kids want to stay at school until they are in there twenty's these days . No one wants hard work .

16 hours ago, melthebell said:

nope, i think the new bit in the moniker gives it away, it was NEW labour, NOT labour

How about instead it was the government able to make decisions, not the opposition who can only stand and moan while watching. 

theres the difference between "New" labour and Labour. One actually appealed to the british public, one hasn't for 45 years

3 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

Good in principle but no one wants to do apprenticeships in construction, its hard work for not enough reward, a crisis is looming if its not addressed.

You are so wrong, there's plenty of really well paid manual jobs in construction at the moment. I dare say the money has never been better and the conditions likewise , that is no heavy lifting or digging, machines do the donkey work now.

11 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

You are so wrong, there's plenty of really well paid manual jobs in construction at the moment. I dare say the money has never been better and the conditions likewise , that is no heavy lifting or digging, machines do the donkey work now.

I work in construction management and I know for a fact that there are not enough people coming into the industry, the good ones are retiring and they are not being replaced.

42 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

Yes I know there is a shortage of skills but the majority youth of today don't want manual work and I can't see that changing. It's a shame this is happening when house building is needed desperately now .

I think there's always been misplaced snobbery about 'trade,' with young people thinking the way forward has got to be University. They're wrong. Too many graduates chasing too few jobs. 

I think working with your hands (and brain) is a very skilled, noble and creative pursuit and should be encouraged. It's a lot more worthwhile to build things than to sit behind a desk as an unecessary penpusher.

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

I think there's always been misplaced snobbery about 'trade,' with young people thinking the way forward has got to be University. They're wrong. Too many graduates chasing too few jobs. 

Not true.  Although Labour were heavily into "education, education, education"  and a big push for everyone to go to university, I recall in quite a number of schools under their reign they built a lot of construction industry training centres, so the ones who weren't gifted could learn a trade:

Mitie has six skills centres which are hosted at secondary schools and academies around the UK.

They were opened between 2001 and 2007 and continue to provide invaluable opportunities for 14 – 16 year old pupils.

https://www.mitiefoundation.com/get-involved/volunteering-stories/mitie-skill-centres/

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

I think working with your hands (and brain) is a very skilled, noble and creative pursuit and should be encouraged. It's a lot more worthwhile to build things than to sit behind a desk as an unecessary penpusher.

This is true, University is really pushed on kids these days, it’s almost brainwashing them, I think the introduction of tuition fees could partly factor in this.

4 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Not true.  Although Labour were heavily into "education, education, education"  and a big push for everyone to go to university, I recall in quite a number of schools under their reign they built a lot of construction industry training centres, so the ones who weren't gifted could learn a trade:

Mitie has six skills centres which are hosted at secondary schools and academies around the UK.

They were opened between 2001 and 2007 and continue to provide invaluable opportunities for 14 – 16 year old pupils.

https://www.mitiefoundation.com/get-involved/volunteering-stories/mitie-skill-centres/

This is what I mean about inbuilt snobbery in UK. I think you mean the ones who weren't accademic, rather than 'not gifted.'  Some people who work 'in trade' are extremely gifted in their own field, and we are all the richer for it. It is not and should not be regarded as second class occupation.