Ukip. All discussion here please.

Not entirely surprised by this to be honest. Carswell always did seem more of a UKIPer then a Tory, with his continual arguments about EU withdrawal.

I do know a few people in that area (was last down there in November for a dinner party in Frinton-on-Sea). It's a constituency that's very receptive to the UKIP message and he is well regarded as a local MP, so I can see quite a lot of people going with him in the by-election.

The problem is the Tories are moving too far left for my liking. Id always been a Tory voter ,but they are too centre ground for me now, and UKIP now offer a good alternative . Ive given the Tories ample chance to say the will get us out of the circus that is the EU , but they , like Labour have shown they have no backbone and have no intention of listening to what the british public want, ie , out of the EU stupidity.

I see that the prospective UKIP MP intends to fight Carswell for the nomination. Oh dear!

It is a bit discourteous of Mr Carswell and the UKIP leadership to just expect the existing prospective candidate to step aside without any consultation with him before hand.

It is a bit discourteous of Mr Carswell and the UKIP leadership to just expect the existing prospective candidate to step aside without any consultation with him before hand.

That would have meant it being leaked to the press earlier than intended and losing the element of the surprise announcement.

---------- Post added 29-08-2014 at 09:53 ----------

I see that the prospective UKIP MP intends to fight Carswell for the nomination. Oh dear!

Excellent, let the local branch hold a hustings but Carswell is their best chance as he commanded a large majority and took a large swing of the vote twards him when he was voted in as a Tory MP.

Edited by SevenRivers

Not entirely surprised by this to be honest. Carswell always did seem more of a UKIPer then a Tory, with his continual arguments about EU withdrawal.

I do know a few people in that area (was last down there in November for a dinner party in Frinton-on-Sea). It's a constituency that's very receptive to the UKIP message and he is well regarded as a local MP, so I can see quite a lot of people going with him in the by-election.

I believe Roger Lord (and some local party activists) think he's the party's chosen candidate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28967904

To quote Jimmy Clitheroe Tarbuck,

“We have a difference of opinion Geoffrey…”

Roger Lord, who was selected to stand for UKIP at next year's general election, has told BBC News he has "no intention" of stepping aside for the former Tory MP…

…Prominent local UKIP activists have also said there is no guarantee they will adopt Mr Carswell as their official candidate.

But UKIP's ruling national executive committee said it had voted to officially adopt Mr Carswell as the party's candidate in the by-election in Clacton.

AVE BOSSA NOVA, SIMILIS BOSSA ANTICA!