Ukip. All discussion here please.

It's looking likely that UKIP might do better than they did last time:

Ukip have gained almost 100 seats so far - already exceeding one prediction made by election experts - and they seem to have gained almost a quarter of the projected national share of the vote. On TV Ukip figures are the only ones who seem genuinely pleased with their performance. But it is not clear that they will beat the 139 net gains they made in local elections last year, when only 2,363 seats were up for election (this year it's 4,216) and their share of the vote seems to be about the same, even though having local elections coincide with European elections this year should have provided them with a boost. John Curtice, the BBC's psephologist, told the World at One just now: "It's probably the case that actually the performance is not quite as good as in last year's stupendous performance."

It's going to be interesting to see how the psychology of these results works out.

In many areas of Sheffield UKIP are now a strong 2nd place and challenging Labour in their traditional strongholds of Shiregreen, Southey Green etc. At the next election will they start to win tactical votes from Conservatives and Liberals in those areas, now it's clear there is a real chance they could win?

My mother voted for Liberals in West Ecclesfield, because she didn't fancy UKIP's chances, but next time she'll almost certainly vote UKIP.

My work colleague is a Conservative, but he's now considering voting for UKIP in the General Election because the Local Election results suggest UKIP are probably going to be the main challengers to Labour in the North of the City.

The next election is still a long way away and a lot can happen in that time, but UKIP definitely have a strong foothold now.

Regards

Doom

But that works both ways.

In a frank assessment of why UKIP did poorly in London, UKIP blamed this on people in the capital as being "educated and cultured" :hihi:

Actually last time I went to London it was hard to find an English speaker. Perhaps that has more to do with it.

Actually last time I went to London it was hard to find an English speaker. Perhaps that has more to do with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_London

"According to the 2011 Census, 44.9% of London's residents are White British. London is one of the few places in the United Kingdom in which White Britons comprise less than half of the total population. 37% of the population were born outside the UK, including 24.5% born outside of Europe.[2]"

Thats more than likely the reason why ^

In many areas of Sheffield UKIP are now a strong 2nd place and challenging Labour in their traditional strongholds of Shiregreen, Southey Green etc. At the next election will they start to win tactical votes from Conservatives and Liberals in those areas, now it's clear there is a real chance they could win?

My mother voted for Liberals in West Ecclesfield, because she didn't fancy UKIP's chances, but next time she'll almost certainly vote UKIP.

My work colleague is a Conservative, but he's now considering voting for UKIP in the General Election because the Local Election results suggest UKIP are probably going to be the main challengers to Labour in the North of the City.

The next election is still a long way away and a lot can happen in that time, but UKIP definitely have a strong foothold now.

Yes. UKIP has won three SCC seats and came second in most of the others; it did even better in Rotherham.