Ukip. All discussion here please.

oh well Angela Smith got in but I take solace on the following points.

1. UKIP got over 10000 votes and if they had combined with the tory vote then Labour would have lost so who knows next time?.

I would say its a 65/35 split with Tory and Labour votes going to UKIP. These will bleed back to both parties come 2020 when the EU referendum takes the wind out of UKIPs sails.

At least I was gracious in defeat. Like I said WIN WIN for me. I could not vote tory in North Sheffield because I knew it would be a wasted vote. I just want my vote on the EU, it looks like I stand a chance of getting it. Will continue to vote UKIP because I am not a leftie, do not believe the state should pay you more in benefits than the average person earns, do not believe in open immigration. Cameron can now go to the EU with a mandate from the British people to get change or we are gone. Like I said I think he will have to give the referendum or risk losing what they have gained. Milliband was a weak leader and fighting just on the NHS was a poor choice, he needed other policies. We live and learn, last post so on this thread so I bid you all farewell.:)

Farage is rumoured to be in third place in his target seat, so what does this mean for UKIP because he said he's going to stand down if he doesn't win his seat.

After the Tories EU referendum, if we vote to come out of the EU, Farage will make a come-back as a Tory MP.

So long Farage!!!!
Is the result out, or has he announced he's quitting? I must admit I'd be very surprised if he does stand down :|

EDIT - just seen BBC, he's failed to grab Thanet.

He's UKIP's most (only?) mediagenic politician, if he quits the party will just get starved of PR and disintegrate. If he (breaks his promise and-) doesn't quit, he'll have lost a serious amount of credibility/public integrity and handed the Tories and Labour sizeable ammunition on a plate. Lose-Lose.

Edited by L00b

A lot of "lefties" will be voting UKIP, unfortunately. They seem to think Nigel Farage will wave his purple magic wand and "get rid of all the Muslims". Sad really. I know quite a few Labour supporters that are voting UKIP for this very reason.

Truth is, Farage can't do a thing about immigration. Where's he going to find the additional £20 billion that immigration brings into the country?

Where did you get that quote about getting rid of all the Muslims? I've never come across it?

Would also like a link for the £20 billion that immigration brings here!

:):)

Is the result out, or has he announced he's quitting? I must admit I'd be very surprised if he does stand down :|

The result is out and he's failed to become MP. He's also backed himself into a corner over his resignation with done if his comments over the subject, so he's got very little choice over that issue.

He's UKIP's most (only?) mediagenic politician, if he quits the party will just get starved of PR and disintegrate. If he (breaks his promise and-) doesn't quit, he'll have lost a serious amount of credibility/public integrity and handed the Tories and Labour sizeable ammunition on a plate. Lose-Lose.

He had a bit of a choppy interview during the night when a journalist asked if he would go through with his promise to stand down, Farage just replied by asking the journalist if he thought that he was a liar.