Ukip. All discussion here please.

You can hardly blame me for the polls being so wrong.

I can blame you for posting on here triumphantly that Farage was going to win. There were other polls that showed Farage wasn't going to win but you wanted to be all clever and pro-UKIP. And it blew up in your face when Farage lost.

I can blame you for posting on here triumphantly that Farage was going to win. There were other polls that showed Farage wasn't going to win but you wanted to be all clever and pro-UKIP. And it blew up in your face when Farage lost.

I wasn't triumphal at all. I followed what the pollsters were saying. Its a bit ironic that you are critical of me for believing the polls but at the same time quote them. You didn't know which polls were true, either, you just picked one that suited your political point of view and got lucky... :D

True but it needs to be less spread and more concentrated.

No, its a reflection that they couldn't convince enough people in a particular locality/constituency to see things their way and vote for them.

Numbers are virtually irrelevant, its percentage of the vote that matters. Scotland is a smaller country than England so UKIP had a larger pool of people to get votes from.

---------- Post added 10-05-2015 at 07:34 ----------

The voting system is not wrong. Everywhere the Tories the Libdems and Labour stood and won seats, UKIP, the Greens, the BNP etc were perfectly free to do the same, the fact that they do less well than the three main parties is just tough. Must try harder.

What would be wrong for me is an MP getting in to parliament having had a lot of votes, say, 25,000 but those votes being thinly spread all over the country, 100 in Sheffield, 600 in Manchester, 1000 in Newcastle etc etc. What/where could that MP say his constituency is?

The system is clearly not working properly if a few million votes are as good as useless. The man made constituency boundaries serve to distort the real sentiment of the people. We could re-draw the boundaries to ring fence a majority of any party. They also serve to create a scenario of tactical voting where many voters feel obliged to vote with their heads rather than uselessly vote with their hearts

The system is clearly not working properly if a few million votes are as good as useless. The man made constituency boundaries serve to distort the real sentiment of the people. We could re-draw the boundaries to ring fence a majority of any party. They also serve to create a scenario of tactical voting where many voters feel obliged to vote with their heads rather than uselessly vote with their hearts

Change the goalposts you mean so that UKIP stand a chance? :hihi:

Who do you expect to draw up constituency boundaries - your favourite deity / pet goldfish / marvin the paranoid android?

Edited by Longcol

The man made constituency boundaries serve to distort the real sentiment of the people.

It's the electoral system, first past the post, that distorts the result, not the constituency boundaries. A lot of constituencies did change politics. See the results in Scotland for that. It was one of the greatest changes in British political history.