Ukip. All discussion here please.

Fantastic news that I'm sure will please most UKIP members.

Miliband and Clegg resigned (and had their resignations accepted) because they had failed.

Nigel hasn't failed. He has led UKIP to now being the third largest party by vote share and now being the the main opposition in many constituencies, quite a remarkable rise for a party barely anybody knew of a decade ago, and given the monumental struggle a new party to the political system faces against parties far more mature having been on the scene in one form or another for hundreds of years.

OR

they dont have another "face" and would face the party going down the pan

Yes, which is what Carlswell previously did when he defected from Tory to UKIP.

Under such conditions a by-election, surprisingly, is not required to take place. It's called crossing the floor and is all above board without the requirement for a by-election, although hardly democratic for the electorate who voted him in. :suspect:

However, I doubt whether Carlswell would defect back to the Tories again.

So we got there in the end. Carlswell could go independent. A by-election isn't needed in our system because you're voting for an MP not an MP's party.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

the kippers need that old guy back, to inject some youth and vitality into the party.

Who was that Victor Meldrew character they had? Whacked a journo over the head with a magazine?

I like him a lot. He's from the North, too.

OR

LibLabCon like to portray UKIP as a one man band, that it would fall apart without Farage. That is what they want you to believe, unfortunately it's far removed from reality.

I was at the party conference in Doncaster and listened to party spokesmen and women on every policy area, a number of them would make good leaders. Granted the pool of people available to us is far less than Labour or Tories, but still within the people we have there are people who can step in after Farage.

SevenRivers would disagree. UKIP though would agree.

A fair EU referendum is yet far from assured.

Only British nationals should be able to vote for example. If EU citizens are allowed to vote, effectively gerrymandering the vote, and a result declared to stay within the EU, UKIP will not accept such a result.

Do you have any other examples where you believe that the vote will be fixed?

So we got there in the end. Carlswell could go independent. A by-election isn't needed in our system because you're voting for an MP not an MP's party.

Watching him today on the Daily Politics show I don't think he would leave. He seemed excited about the party's future. One point he did make was that he was hoping UKIP would replace the Labour Party as an alternative to the Conservatives. Whether that happens or not will be long in the future but he seemed pretty up beat.

The presence of the sneering anti UKIP trolls only serves to convince me that Nigel has done the right thing :)

Same here, the only people that wanted him to quit are the people that didn't vote for him and have an irrational fear of him and his party. :)

Same here, the only people that wanted him to quit are the people that didn't vote for him and have an irrational fear of him and his party. :)

Will never support UKIP but glad he's sticking around. He's going to be needed as a voice against the Tories.