Banks which went bust in 1900-1920 approx

Hello

Does anyone have any details of Sheffield banks or banks which had branches here which went out of business sometime around 1900 to 1920's. Allegedly they paid a small proportion of the amount invested (e.g. sixpence for every pound).

Thanks

there was William and glyne bank on lady's bridge and another W&G branch on the corner of Glossop road, also the Yorkshire penny bank at the corner of commercial street cant think of any more that closed there many that amalgamated with other banks

there was William and glyne bank on lady's bridge and another W&G branch on the corner of Glossop road, also the Yorkshire penny bank at the corner of commercial street cant think of any more that closed there many that amalgamated with other banks

Thanks.

My grandad told me that his parents sold a pub and put the money in a bank, I think this was sometime after 1901 and before 1911. The story goes that the bank went bust and the customers were repaid a very small proportion of their original balance. I assumed it was a Sheffield bank but it could have been a national or regional one.

I'm only curious from a family history point of view.

Archived