No Voters. All discussion here please.

I agree that any one individual vote can be less significant in some constituencies than in other more marginal ones. Where I live in N Yorks, voting Labour (even if that's the party you want) is, pragmatically, a waste since they will never get in. But it's a way of registering a protest, nonetheless and that has to be better than just moaning about it down the pub.Stand up and be counted! Then campaign for PR.

I'd agree with this!

I believe people should vote for what they believe in, regardless of whether their particular candidate of choice stands a chance.

The only wasted vote as far as I'm concerned is the one that's not cast.

People have died to give us the freedom to vote, we should all take advantage of that.

Regards

Doom

I'd agree with this!

I believe people should vote for what they believe in, regardless of whether their particular candidate of choice stands a chance.

The only wasted vote as far as I'm concerned is the one that's not cast.

People have died to give us the freedom to vote, we should all take advantage of that.

Regards

Doom

They also died for the freedom not to vote.

If they're all as bad as each other then there really is no point voting as it only encourages them. Luckily there is a party that I'm happy to vote for.

True. In a democracy, if you think nobody represents your views, then morally (if not legally) it is untenable simply to whinge and not vote - you should stand and campaign yourself. That would of course mean getting off your backside (literally or metaphorically), which some armchair spouters would find unpalatable.

I would not endorse compulsory voting, but those who moan about all the political parties/leaders might do well to think how hard fought the fight for universal enfranchisement was - and count their blessings that you can stroll down to your polling station in this country and not risk being blown up, macheted, or shot at.

But what if you consider that the idea of the current democratic system has become so polluted, that whoever gains political power - even oneself - the real power does not lie directly within Westminster but by other parties and institutions with the power to cause a great deal of problems should any political party seek to remove that unelected power?

Why is it morally untenable to say "being a part of this would be compromising my views"?

It had been my intention not to vote as under our undemocratic system it is a complete waste of time.

However after a telephone conversation with a very charming lady from the Liberals I have decided instead to 'spoil' my vote.

As she pointed out, not voting will be interpreted as apathy.

I am not apathetic about politics, simply despairing of it.

Spoiled votes are counted and, if there are enough of them they may make a point.

Not that I will be holding my breath.

True. In a democracy, if you think nobody represents your views, then morally (if not legally) it is untenable simply to whinge and not vote - you should stand and campaign yourself. That would of course mean getting off your backside (literally or metaphorically), which some armchair spouters would find unpalatable.

I would not endorse compulsory voting, but those who moan about all the political parties/leaders might do well to think how hard fought the fight for universal enfranchisement was - and count their blessings that you can stroll down to your polling station in this country and not risk being blown up, macheted, or shot at.

If you made voting compulsory, it would mean we knew all along that democracy is basically an elected dictatorship - it's all about 'el'.

---------- Post added 20-05-2014 at 21:37 ----------

Elections are like police line ups, only, with elections you pick the person before they rob you and screw you.

It's like a game of "Choose Your Mugger!"

Nice one! :hihi:

It had been my intention not to vote as under our undemocratic system it is a complete waste of time.

However after a telephone conversation with a very charming lady from the Liberals I have decided instead to 'spoil' my vote.

As she pointed out, not voting will be interpreted as apathy.

I am not apathetic about politics, simply despairing of it.

Spoiled votes are counted and, if there are enough of them they may make a point.

Not that I will be holding my breath.

She's quite right.

A blank vote is the right alternative for those in your position.

http://www.blankvote.org.uk/blank_votes_count.html

Archived