No Voters. All discussion here please.

I don't know who to vote for and can't make up my mind, so I don't see why I should hang my head in shame to not have voted.

Hold your head high and be proud of the fact you stuck to your principles...unlike some others!

None of them represent my views 100%. I chose the one who was most closely aligned to my views. I cannot believe that anyone could say that the Racists, the Greens, the Tories and Labour all equally represent their views?

Nobody is saying that you have to vote for a party that represents 100% of your views, in fact I doubt that anybody votes on that basis, or that finding a party which supports 100% of their views is even possible. :confused:

Your second point makes more sense and is generally what most people do.

Nobody is saying that you have to vote for a party that represents 100% of your views, in fact I doubt that anybody votes on that basis, or that finding a party which supports 100% of their views is even possible. :confused:

Your second point makes more sense and is generally what most people do.

I think we're actually agreeing. I was responding to people saying they don't vote because no party represents their views. I was saying that no party represents my views completely so I pick the closest match. The only way any party could ever represent 100% of someone's views is if you were the leader of that party....

I would rather vote for a party which represents, say 80% of my views than not vote and end up with a council/government that only represents 10% of my views.

The only way not voting is sensible is if every party represents your views equally or no party represents your views at all. If there is even a 1% difference then it makes sense to vote.

---------- Post added 23-05-2014 at 18:42 ----------

Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb!

Is that meant to be some kind of insult? :confused:

What price democracy then when you vote on that basis?

I choose from the parties available and vote for the one I think will best serve my interests and the interests of the country. As in my previous reply I know that no party will stand for everything I believe in. Life is about compromise but I would rather have a compromise and have some of my views represented, than none at all.

A theoretical question: Lets suppose the good people of the UK all follow the lead from the non-voters and decide not to vote. The only people who vote are those who have very strong opinions, and as a result the BNP are able to form a government. They pass various laws and anyone who is not white, british and hetrosexual is sent to jail or deported.

As a non-voter would you be happy with that situation?

I think we're actually agreeing. I was responding to people saying they don't vote because no party represents their views. I was saying that no party represents my views completely so I pick the closest match. The only way any party could ever represent 100% of someone's views is if you were the leader of that party....

I would rather vote for a party which represents, say 80% of my views than not vote and end up with a council/government that only represents 10% of my views.

The only way not voting is sensible is if every party represents your views equally or no party represents your views at all. If there is even a 1% difference then it makes sense to vote.

---------- Post added 23-05-2014 at 18:42 ----------

I choose from the parties available and vote for the one I think will best serve my interests and the interests of the country. As in my previous reply I know that no party will stand for everything I believe in. Life is about compromise but I would rather have a compromise and have some of my views represented, than none at all.

A theoretical question: Lets suppose the good people of the UK all follow the lead from the non-voters and decide not to vote. The only people who vote are those who have very strong opinions, and as a result the BNP are able to form a government. They pass various laws and anyone who is not white, british and hetrosexual is sent to jail or deported.

Absolutely not an insult! "Rhubarb" was my comment on your contention that people would have to "hang their heads in shame" if extremists gained power.

Anyone who does not wish to vote for whatever reason has a right to do so regardless of what happens or who gets in. If your assertion was correct it would be just as reasonable to say that those who voted for a party that passed any restrictive law would have to hang their heads...and that is rhubarb too!

No disrespect to you Andy but I will refrain from debating conjectural points because it just inflames the trolls and serves no purpose IMO. What ifs and the like are not fact...only opinion.

Anyone who does not wish to vote for whatever reason has a right to do so regardless of what happens or who gets in. If your assertion was correct it would be just as reasonable to say that those who voted for a party that passed any restrictive law would have to hang their heads...and that is rhubarb too!

I completely agree.

If we all followed the same lead we would probably get what we deserved.

A one party state with a tyrannical dictator in charge, either that or the introduction of compulsory voting.

But that of course is conjecture.

If the bear didn't do what bears do in the woods would it burst?

But that too is just conjecture. ;)

OK, I'm going to use a slightly less extreme example. Leaving aside the racists and nazis for now ;)

I live in a village in Hertfordshire which is in the green belt. Our small village has a small primary school, a shop, three pubs and a church.

We have a developer who wishes to build hundreds of homes on a site in the Green Belt on the edge of the village. On the one hand, we need more houses because house prices here are too high and young people cannot get on the property ladder. On the other hand, the new houses will spoil the view, take away land which is used as a playing field, and create a lot more traffic which our narrow High Street will struggle to cope with.

This is a really big issue for us and the various parties have different views on how the Green Belt should be protected. There are similar issues going on all over this corner of Hertfordshire.

Planning is something local councillors have a lot of control over. and for me it was one of the things that influenced how I voted. I am not daft and I realise that councillors can change their minds, or that the Government can intervene, but I would rather have the councillor who support my view than one who doesn't.

In my view those who didn't vote will have no right to complain when their view is spoiled and their kids can't get into the local school etc when the huge development is built. And those who cannot afford a first home, or whose kids cannot afford a first home have no right to complain when the development is not built :)

OK, I'm going to use a slightly less extreme example. Leaving aside the racists and nazis for now ;)

I live in a village in Hertfordshire which is in the green belt. Our small village has a small primary school, a shop, three pubs and a church.

We have a developer who wishes to build hundreds of homes on a site in the Green Belt on the edge of the village. On the one hand, we need more houses because house prices here are too high and young people cannot get on the property ladder. On the other hand, the new houses will spoil the view, take away land which is used as a playing field, and create a lot more traffic which our narrow High Street will struggle to cope with.

This is a really big issue for us and the various parties have different views on how the Green Belt should be protected. There are similar issues going on all over this corner of Hertfordshire.

Planning is something local councillors have a lot of control over. and for me it was one of the things that influenced how I voted. I am not daft and I realise that councillors can change their minds, or that the Government can intervene, but I would rather have the councillor who support my view than one who doesn't.

In my view those who didn't vote will have no right to complain when their view is spoiled and their kids can't get into the local school etc when the huge development is built. And those who cannot afford a first home, or whose kids cannot afford a first home have no right to complain when the development is not built :)

Re my bold.

What about the bears Andy? :D

In a one issue situation such as you have described I would not have the slightest hesitation in voting for the councillor who fully supported my view.

Those who did not vote would still have my total approval to complain as they saw fit.

Archived