Adelphi Pub where Crucible now stands

rhodesian

On top of that he had a big black tash and he always used to take a half for himself beer that is. P.S.

The old bricklayers lament, [sheffield poem] mentioned the Adelphi.

I.E.---

Down the road the bricklayer goes his tools upon his back.

No one knows if he,s packed up or if he,s got the sack.

Where shall i go now he thinks Cannon or Adelphi--------- etc,etc.

Forget the full version [any offers].

I once went in the Cannon with my dad, it was a Sunday night , I think the landlords name as Herbert Beedham, Mrs Beedham served us and was clearly a nice lady, as my dad spoke to her two men started fighting, Mr Beedham picked up a large iron fire bucket and set about them both, forcing them out into the street. Once they were out he came behind the bar and started serving, Mrs Beedham never took any notice, never stopped her conversation with my dad and Mr Beedham acted as though it was the most natural situaion in the world. Old school.

• 2 years later...

I went on a Steel City Ghost Walk yesterday and was informed that a Hotel called the Adelphi used to occupy the site where the Crucible Theatre now stands. This hotel was apparently bombed in 1940 and the remains of it were left for a long time before the plot was finally built on. There are a few images of the hotel here and there but always in relation to it being a meeting place for Sheffield Cricket Club and Sheffield Wednesday. I can't find any photos of it in any other context or in a state of ruin....?

I went on a Steel City Ghost Walk yesterday and was informed that a Hotel called the Adelphi used to occupy the site where the Crucible Theatre now stands. This hotel was apparently bombed in 1940 and the remains of it were left for a long time before the plot was finally built on. There are a few images of the hotel here and there but always in relation to it being a meeting place for Sheffield Cricket Club and Sheffield Wednesday. I can't find any photos of it in any other context or in a state of ruin....?

It was still standing in the 60's, I used to drink there and it was not sprits that they served me.

The hotel was demolished in 1969 to make way for the Crucible Theatre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelphi_Hotel_(Sheffield)

Edited by Blackbeard
New information

that would suggest it didn't get obliterated by a direct hit during the war then!

I took a few hits there but I survived too. It was in very good condition the last time I was there before they knocked it down.

How do you book the ghost walk and how much please. Sounds interesting :)

Thanks Blackbeard, think I got the wrong impression on the ghost tour...

The Steel City Ghost Tours happen on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays- £5 per person and they last between 2 & 2.5 hours - it's all on their website: http://www.steelcityghosttours.co.uk/index.html

They also do architectural tours- we had a sneak preview of this last night and it was- a guided explanation of the frontage of the town hall- really very detailed and interesting.

Did a bit more digging and found this photo from 1968:

Adelphi Hotel, No 13 Tudor Way, (formerly No 13 Arundel Street), at junction of Sycamore Street

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s22048&pos=2&action=zoom

---------- Post added 20-05-2014 at 22:35 ----------

This photo is even better :-)

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20107&pos=2&action=zoom

• 2 years later...

Talking to old friends over a pint of excellent Smiths best in the Abbey Friday teatime we started reminiscing about our old local in the 60s the Adelphi!.Demolished to make way for the Crucible,I remarked it was a shame that there was nothing to rememember its existence when one of the old friends pointed out that this wasn,t so!.He said that in the Crucible is a room entitled "The Adelphi Room"complete with pictures and history of the life and times of our old watering hole,its a function room apparently so the next time I,m in the area I will pay a visit to have a look!.Maybe there is a picture of someone I may recognise,who knows!.:partyhat::headbang: