Walshes of Sheffield..the cellars!

Just seen the Rackhams thread and it brought back memories of working at Walshes. I was an office junior and I had to deliver the internal post throughtout the store much of this done in the tunnels under the store or behind the scenes and coming into the individual departments from it seemed nowhere! I do remember being able to make the task take a lot longer than needed and managed a chat along the way with people from the departments, it was the early 70's and I was either 15 or 16, did anyone else work there or go in the tunnels?

Hi, I also worked at Walsh's, 1964 until the early 70's. I was employed as part of the maintenance team, "electrical", our workshop was situated in the depths of the building adjacent to the despatch department, you would have passed us by on your travels along the tunnels. The store manager was Mr Day, his secretary at the time was Christine Clarke. I remember someone from the correspondence office, which I assume was where you worked, called Glynis Woolley although probably before your time. The personnel office was run by a lady called Mrs Maddocks and a Mrs Betts, who was the mother of our local MP. Happy days.

Archived