Transport protests successful!

I have Meinere's Disease and a severely damaged left knee from a high-speed motor accident (unrelated). Enough to classify me at the "bottom end" of disabled according to my doc. I work 40-45 a week which entails 3 hours of travel each day on top, currently doing the hours over 4 days a week.

Now I don't classify myself as disabled as I can still get out and about and my injury doesn't stop me from doing most things I want to, although the 100m sprint is out.

How's that for a "bleeding clue"? :roll:

I too have Meniere's plus other things but won't go into those, that's a bleeding clue, I'm at the high end of disabled and cannot work so I have a great idea, but I did manage 40 years before I left employemnt.

No it wouldn't. A statement from the education provider taken into SYPTE's office would suffice then card can be programmed with a different code allowing travel before 09:30

In regards to your point about disabled people not working full time. So do you mean to say abled-bodied that only work part-time should get free travel too?

The education rule would be more bureaucratic. Disabled people can get travel cards that last a few years whereas education enrolments are for a year only in general. So they could end up getting free travel well past the end of any course they're doing or they'd have to keep renewing them every year.

They could also use them before 09.30 when not going to college. The driver or conductor wouldn't know where they're going.

As for your second question, I'd say your disabilities aren't just physical if you come to that conclusion.

It was a proper legal challenge, that was launched under the Equalities Act, that pointed out that the authority had failed to consider the adverse impact on disabled and older people locally in imposing these cuts.

How can it be equality when some people have to pay and some don't?

Why did SYPTE restrict usage for pensioners?

Why did SYPTE restrict usage for pensioners?

Funding cuts. SYPTE simply couldn't afford to continue giving pensioners EXTENDED times & EXTRA travel options for their travel cards.

SYPTE therefore took the decision to bring the subsidy in line with the rest of the country (South Yorkshire was the only region to have these extended options)

I have Meinere's Disease and a severely damaged left knee from a high-speed motor accident (unrelated). Enough to classify me at the "bottom end" of disabled according to my doc. I work 40-45 a week which entails 3 hours of travel each day on top, currently doing the hours over 4 days a week.

Now I don't classify myself as disabled as I can still get out and about and my injury doesn't stop me from doing most things I want to, although the 100m sprint is out.

How's that for a "bleeding clue"? :roll:

Bravo! Stand up to bigotry. I agree with you that people earning a fulll wage should pay full fare, regardless of other factors. Don't expect much support on this forum though

Actually it was not the civil disobedience that won the day in the matter of the loss of concessions.

It was a proper legal challenge, that was launched under the Equalities Act, that pointed out that the authority had failed to consider the adverse impact on disabled and older people locally in imposing these cuts.

This is why the agreement was announced that the disabled passes were to be reinstated, and that the OAP passes were to go back to near normal, except getting half price travel on trains locally.

Not satisfied with the fact that the case had been won, these protesters continue to heckle and throw their tantrums.

I am confused as you were a big supporter of this, being a disabled you felt that you should get free transport if I recall correctly. So you now feel you have won, because you have what you want? What about the OAP's? Would you settle for this had it been the other way round? Disableds pay half price whilst OAPs get free travel?

As for your second question, I'd say your disabilities aren't just physical if you come to that conclusion.

Wow, you are disgusting.

You can travel by bus from wakefield to leeds in 38 minutes. This is the same distance as Barnsley to wakefield but that one takes 67 minutes and only once an hour. Why? because North Yorkshire people use their passes to go from wakefield to leeds on the bus and south Yorkshire people have used the trains.

When concession train travel started the busses disappeared. If they take away the trains without giving back the properly timed routed concession busses it is not going to work or people will rightfully protest.

As we progress as a species, we are becoming more war like rather than less. It is an inherent factor in every living thing to compete for resources, even if you have enough yourself.

Wow, you are disgusting.

I feel the same way about those who don't realise the human race is a bit more advanced than other species.

Funding cuts. SYPTE simply couldn't afford to continue giving pensioners EXTENDED times & EXTRA travel options for their travel cards.

SYPTE therefore took the decision to bring the subsidy in line with the rest of the country (South Yorkshire was the only region to have these extended options)

OR an opportunity to bring things into line, save money and blame someone else,

but i am an old cynic.

It's a small amount of money per person across the whole raft of free passes but a substantial amount per person for those actually using the free trains. The train service couldn't handle 280,000 additional users on this particular route.

Archived