A modest proposal for electoral reform

Because it encourages participation in democracy.

If it's a bit too radical, we could phase it in by starting with just the first ½ hour, and allow anyone there in that "window" to vote twice.

What about people who would be working at that time...why should their vote count for less than those able to get there?

If it's a bit too radical, we could phase it in by starting with just the first ½ hour, and allow anyone there in that "window" to vote twice.

oh is that all? no, its a crap idea, lol

What about people who would be working at that time...why should their vote count for less than those able to get there?

Then we would enact legislation to allow a disclaimer or "opt-out" for people working shift patterns.

The opening hours of the polling stations could be altered so that they're tailored to individuals own working patterns…

Hmm. I think I can foresee problems with that - such as having the staff and the personnel to be there.

Having considered it further, it appears I've probably not thought this through very well.

How do you know it encourages participation in democracy? Do you have anything to back that up?

I can see how it might encourage those already keen on voting to get there early so that there vote counted twice. So that would be the ones already commited to the political parties, but I cnat see why it should persuade those who do not vote to do so becayse they arent that interested in who wins anyway.

By making anyones vote count more than anyone elses you are undermining the fundamental principle of one person one vote. Why should anyones vote be worth more than anyone else, especially based upon what time they get to the polling station.

If people were that commited then the happy hour voting you are sugesting I can see causing chaos as people tried to get in before the cut off time. I could well envisage fighting or disruption for those who missed out.

In summary it's a very silly idea, neither effective or productive in terms of supporting a democratic process.

That made me laugh, do you really think they are going to get out of bed just to get two votes. :D

Maybe if I were unemployed I would. Don't like having nothing to get out of bed for in the morning.

As has been said, this proposal is more then a tad unfair on those working shifts for example, and political parties would go out of their way to all send their most partisan supporters to the polling station at the crack of dawn.

So would giving each voter 1,000 free Nectar points, serving beer in the Polling Station or promising to select a ballot slip at random to win a new TV. But none of these are good ideas ;)

Archived